(A) The director of natural resources may lease lands in state parks, as defined in section 1501.07 of the Revised Code, and contract for the construction and operation of public service facilities, as mentioned in that section, and for major renovation or remodeling of existing public service facilities by the lessees on those lands. If the director determines that doing so would be consistent with long-range planning of the department of natural resources and in the best interests of the department and the division of parks and watercraft in the department, the director shall negotiate and execute a lease and contract for those purposes in accordance with this chapter except as otherwise provided in this section.
(B) With the approval of the recreation and resources council created under section 1501.04 of the Revised Code, the director shall draft a statement of intent describing any public service facility that the department wishes to have constructed in accordance with this section and establishing a procedure for the submission of proposals for providing the facility, including, but not limited to, a requirement that each prospective bidder or lessee of land shall submit with the proposal a completed questionnaire and financial statement, on forms prescribed and furnished by the department, to enable the department to ascertain the person's financial worth and experience in maintaining and operating facilities similar or related to the public service facility in question. The completed questionnaire and financial statement shall be verified under oath by the prospective bidder or lessee. Questionnaires and financial statements submitted under this division are confidential and are not open to public inspection. Nothing in this division shall be construed to prevent use of or reference to questionnaires and financial statements in a civil action or criminal prosecution commenced by the state.
The director shall publish the statement of intent in at least three daily newspapers of general circulation in the state at least once each week for four consecutive weeks. The director then shall accept proposals in response to the statement of intent for at least thirty days following the final publication of the statement. At the end of the period during which proposals may be submitted under this division, the director shall select the proposal that the director determines best complies with the statement of intent and may negotiate a lease and contract with the person that submitted that proposal.
(C) Any lease and contract negotiated under this section shall include in its terms and conditions all of the following:
(1) The legal description of the leasehold;
(2) The duration of the lease and contract, which shall not exceed forty years, and a requirement that the lease and contract be nonrenewable;
(3) A requirement that the lessee maintain in full force and effect during the term of the lease and contract comprehensive liability insurance for injury, death, or loss to persons or property and fire casualty insurance for the public service facility and all its structures in an amount established by the director and naming the department as an additional insured;
(4) A requirement that the lessee maintain in full force and effect suitable performance bonds or other adequate security pertaining to the construction and operation of the public service facility;
(5) Detailed plans and specifications controlling the construction of the public service facility that shall include all of the following:
(a) The size and capacity of the facility;
(b) The type and quality of construction;
(c) Other criteria that the department considers necessary and advisable.
(6) The manner of rental payment;
(7) A stipulation that the director shall have control and supervision over all of the following:
(a) The operating season of the public service facility;
(b) The facility's hours of operation;
(c) The maximum rates to be charged guests using the facility;
(d) The facility's sanitary conditions;
(e) The quality of food and service furnished the guests of the facility;
(f) The lessee's general and structural maintenance responsibilities at the facility.
(8) The disposition of the leasehold and improvements at the expiration of the lease and contract;
(9) A requirement that the public service facility be available to all members of the public without regard to sex, race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, or disability as defined in section 4112.01 of the Revised Code;
(10) Other terms and conditions that the director considers necessary and advisable to carry out the purposes of this section.
(D) The attorney general shall approve the form of the lease and contract prior to its execution by the director.
(E) The authority granted in this section to the director is in addition and supplemental to any other authority granted the director under state law.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 293, §1, eff. 9/14/2016.
Effective Date: 03-17-2000