(A) There is hereby created in the department of natural resources the Ohio geology advisory council consisting of seven members to be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. No more than four of the members shall be of the same political party. Members shall be persons who have a demonstrated interest in the geology and mineral resources of this state and whose expertise reflects the various responsibilities of the division of geological survey. The council shall include at least one representative from each of the following: the oil and gas industry, the industrial minerals industry, the coal industry, hydrogeology interests, environmental geology interests, and an institution of higher education in this state. The chief of the division of geological survey may participate in the deliberations of the council, but shall not vote.
Within ninety days after May 3, 1990, the governor shall make initial appointments to the council. Of the initial appointments, three shall be for a term ending one year after May 3, 1990, three shall be for a term ending two years after May 3, 1990, and one shall be for a term ending three years after May 3, 1990. Thereafter, terms of office shall be for three years, with each term ending on the same day of the same month as did the term that it succeeds. Members may be reappointed. The governor may remove any member at any time for inefficiency, neglect of duty, or malfeasance in office. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner provided for original appointments. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy prior to the expiration date of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office as a member for the remainder of that term. A member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first.
Serving as an appointed member on the council does not constitute holding a public office or position of employment under the laws of this state and does not constitute grounds for removal of public officers or employees from their offices or positions of employment.
Members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties from moneys appropriated to the division.
The council annually shall select from its members a chairperson and a vice-chairperson. The council shall hold at least one meeting each calendar quarter and shall keep a record of its proceedings, which shall be open to public inspection. Special meetings may be called by the chairperson and shall be called upon the written request of two or more members. A majority of the members constitutes a quorum. The division shall furnish clerical, technical, legal, and other services required by the council in the performance of its duties.
(B) The council shall do all of the following:
(1) Advise the chief in carrying out the duties of the division under this chapter;
(2) Recommend policy and legislation with respect to geology, resource analysis, and management that will promote the economic and industrial development of the state while minimizing threats to the natural environment of the state;
(3) Review and make recommendations on the development of plans and programs for long-term, comprehensive geologic mapping and analysis throughout the state;
(4) Recommend ways to enhance cooperation among governmental agencies having an interest in the geology of the state to encourage wise use and management of the geology and mineral resources of the state. To this end, the council shall request nonvoting representation from appropriate governmental agencies.
(5) Review and make recommendations with respect to changes in the fee schedules established in rules adopted under section 1505.05 of the Revised Code.
(6) Establish and administer the grant program as described in section 1505.12 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.96,SB 179, §1, eff. 7/3/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28,HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.
Effective Date: 05-03-1990