(A) Explosives shall be used in a manner that prevents injury to persons and damage to public or private property that is located outside the area for which a permit was issued under section 1514.02 or 1514.021 of the Revised Code.
(B) The ground vibration resulting from the use of explosives when measured at any dwelling, public or commercial building, school, church, or community or institutional building that is located outside the area for which a permit was issued under section 1514.02 or 1514.021 of the Revised Code and that is not owned by the operator shall not exceed the frequency-dependent particle velocity limits listed in the "report of investigations 8507, appendix B--alternative blasting level criteria, (1980)," published by the former United States bureau of mines, or other limits established by rule.
(C) The airblast resulting from the use of explosives when measured with a two hertz high-pass system at any location listed in division (B) of this section shall not exceed a level of one hundred thirty-three decibels.
(D) On and after July 1, 2003, all blasting in surface mining shall be conducted by persons who are trained and competent in blasting as certified by the chief of the division of mineral resources management or a certifying authority approved by the chief.
(E) The chief shall adopt, and may amend and rescind, rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code establishing requirements and standards governing all of the following:
(1) Seismographic monitoring and alternate methods to prove compliance with the ground vibration limits established under division (B) of this section and the airblast limits established under division (C) of this section;
(2) Protection of any building or structure not listed in division (B) of this section;
(3) Training, examination, and certification of persons conducting blasting in surface mining and suspension or revocation of certifications;
(4) Standard blast warning and all-clear signals;
(5) Blasting records and flyrock reporting requirements;
(6) Safety measures for blasting in surface mining.
(F) The chief may adopt rules under this section that establish limits on the amount of ground vibration resulting from the use of explosives that is permissible when measured at the locations described in division (B) of this section.
Effective Date: 03-15-2002 .