(A) There is hereby created the clean Ohio trail advisory board consisting of nine voting members. Not later than sixty days after the effective date of this section, the director of natural resources shall appoint all of the following members to the board:
(1) One member who is a county commissioner and who is recommended by a statewide organization that represents county commissioners;
(2) One member who is a township trustee and who is recommended by a statewide organization that represents township trustees;
(3) One member who is a member of the legislative authority of a municipal corporation and who is recommended by a statewide organization that represents municipal corporations;
(4) Three representatives of statewide nonprofit organizations dedicated to the creation of recreational trails;
(5) One representative each of development, environmental, and planning interests.
Of the initial appointments to the board, three shall serve for a one-year term, three shall serve for a two-year term, and three shall serve for a three-year term. Thereafter, terms of office shall be for three years, with each term ending on the same day of the same month as did the term that it succeeds. Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed, except that the term of any member who is a county commissioner, a township trustee, or a member of the legislative authority of a municipal corporation shall end when the member ceases to serve as a county commissioner, a township trustee, or a member of the legislative authority of a municipal corporation.
Members may be reappointed. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner provided for original appointments. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration date of the term for which the member was appointed shall serve for the remainder of that term. A member shall continue to serve subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first. Members shall serve at the pleasure of the director.
The director or another employee who is designated by the director shall serve as the nonvoting chairperson of the board. The director annually shall designate one member of the board to serve as its vice-chairperson. The board may adopt bylaws governing its operation and shall meet at a time when the director, or the director's designee, considers it appropriate in order for the board to provide advice as required under division (B) of this section.
(C) Serving as a member of the board does not constitute holding a public office or position of employment under the laws of this state and does not constitute grounds for removal of public officers or employees from their offices or positions of employment.
(D) A board member shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the discharge of duties as a board member.
Effective Date: 07-26-2001
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4