1546.05 Exemptions and discounts from certain fees and charges.

(A) Every disabled veteran is exempt from the fees for camping established by rule. To claim this exemption, the disabled veteran shall carry in the state park such evidence of the veteran's disability as prescribed by rule.

(B) Unless otherwise provided by rule, an elderly or disabled resident shall be charged one-half of the regular fee for camping, except on the weekends and holidays designated by the division of parks and watercraft. In addition, the elderly or disabled resident shall not be charged more than ninety per cent of the regular charges for state recreational facilities, equipment, services, and food service operations utilized by the resident at any time of year, whether maintained or operated by the state or leased for operation by another entity.

(C) Any person who has been a prisoner of war, was honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States, and is a resident of this state is exempt from the fees for camping. To claim this exemption, the person shall present written evidence in the form of a record of separation, a letter from one of the military forces of the United States, or such other evidence as the chief prescribes by rule that satisfies the eligibility criteria established by this section.

(D) As used in this section:

(1) "Disabled veteran" means either of the following:

(a) A resident of this state with a disability that has been determined by the veterans administration to be permanently and totally disabling, who receives a pension or compensation from the veterans administration, and who received an honorable discharge from the armed forces of the United States;

(b) A veteran to whom the registrar of motor vehicles has issued a set of license plates under section 4503.41 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Elderly or disabled resident" means a resident of this state who is sixty-five years of age or older or who is permanently and totally disabled and who furnishes evidence of that age or disability in a manner prescribed by rule.

(3) "Food service operations" means restaurants that are owned by the department of natural resources at Hocking Hills, Lake Hope, Malabar Farm, and Rocky Fork state parks or are part of a state park lodge. "Food service operations" does not include automatic vending machines, concession stands, or snack bars.

(4) "Prisoner of war" means any regularly appointed, enrolled, enlisted, or inducted member of the armed forces of the United States who was captured, separated, and incarcerated by an enemy of the United States.

Added by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 293, §1, eff. 9/14/2016.