(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Ridesharing arrangement" means the transportation of persons in a motor vehicle when the transportation is incidental to another purpose of a volunteer driver and includes ridesharing arrangements known as carpools, vanpools, and buspools.
(2) "Local agency" means a political subdivision; any department, agency, board, commission, or instrumentality of a political subdivision; a regional planning commission created under section 713.21 of the Revised Code; a county planning commission created under section 713.22 of the Revised Code; a joint planning council created under section 713.231 of the Revised Code; an interstate regional planning commission created under section 713.30 of the Revised Code; or a regional council of governments created under section 167.01 of the Revised Code.
(3) "State agency" means the state or any department, agency, board, commission, or instrumentality of the state.
(B) Any motor vehicle owned by a state agency or owned, hired, or leased by a local agency may be used in a ridesharing arrangement, provided the motor vehicle is used in accordance with law, ordinance, or the established policy of the state agency or local agency and a daily, weekly, or monthly fee is charged each participant in the arrangement that is sufficient to cover the participant's pro rata share of the cost of maintaining, insuring, and operating the motor vehicle for such purpose, the cost of depreciation attributable to the use stated in this division, and, if the motor vehicle is acquired primarily for use in a ridesharing arrangement, the cost of amortization. A fee established by the state agency or local agency under this division is presumed to provide sufficient reimbursement to the state or local agency.
(C) The state agency owning, or the local agency owning, hiring, or leasing, a motor vehicle that is used in a ridesharing arrangement shall purchase or provide, or cause to be purchased or provided, in accordance with applicable law governing the purchase or provision of such insurance by the state or local agency, public liability insurance to cover such employees in amounts and coverages no less than:
(1) One hundred thousand dollars because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident;
(2) Three hundred thousand dollars because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident;
(3) Fifty thousand dollars because of injury to property of others in any one accident.
(D) The department of administrative services, the board of county commissioners of each county, the board of township trustees of each township, the legislative authority of each municipal corporation, and the governing body of every other local agency shall establish procedures governing the operation of motor vehicles used in ridesharing arrangements, including fees of the type described in division (B) of this section.
(E) No appointing authority of a state agency or local agency may require any employee of any such agency to participate in a ridesharing arrangement between his place of residence and place of employment, or termini near such places, except during an emergency declared by the governor or the chief executive of the political subdivision in which the local agency is located under sections 5502.21 to 5502.51 of the Revised Code or during an energy emergency declared by the governor under section 4935.03 of the Revised Code when the governor specifically orders such ridesharing by employees of state or local agencies.
(F) Persons other than employees of a state or local agency may participate in a ridesharing arrangement authorized by any such agencies. Such agencies shall provide, or purchase for such persons, the insurance required under division (C) of this section for public employees.
Cite as R.C. § 1551.25
History. Effective Date: 10-29-1995