(A) The operator of an underground coal mine that uses conveyor belts in the operation of the mine shall install fire detection devices on each conveyor belt that is used in the mine. The fire detection devices shall be of a design and type established in rules adopted under this section. The chief of the division of mineral resources management shall inspect the fire detection devices after the operator of the mine has installed the devices on the conveyor belts that are used in the operation of the mine. The chief shall approve or disapprove the installation of the fire detection devices and shall notify the operator of the chief's decision.
(B) The chief, in consultation with a statewide association representing the coal mining industry and a statewide association representing employees of coal mines, shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code concerning the installation and use of fire detection devices on conveyor belts that are used in an underground coal mine. The rules shall include all of the following:
(1) The design and types of fire detection devices that must be used on a conveyor belt in order to provide for the earliest possible detection of a fire;
(2) The number of fire detection devices that are required on a conveyor belt;
(3) A procedure for the notification of the chief after the operator of a mine has installed the fire detection devices;
(4) A procedure for the inspection of fire detection devices installed on a conveyor belt;
(5) Any other requirements that the chief determines are necessary.
(C) No operator of a mine shall refuse or neglect to comply with this section or rules adopted under it.
Cite as R.C. § 1567.681
History. Effective Date: 2008 SB323 06-11-2008