(A) The general assembly finds that many local areas throughout the state are experiencing economic stagnation or decline, and that the economic development programs provided for in this chapter will constitute deserved, necessary reinvestment by the state in those areas, materially contribute to their economic revitalization, and result in improving the economic welfare of all the people of the state. Accordingly, it is declared to be the public policy of the state, through the operations of this chapter and other applicable laws adopted pursuant to Section 2p or 13 of Article VIII, Ohio Constitution, and other authority vested in the general assembly, to assist in and facilitate the establishment or development of eligible projects or assist and cooperate with any governmental agency in achieving such purpose.
(B) In furtherance of such public policy and to implement such purpose, the director of development may:
(1) After consultation with appropriate governmental agencies, enter into agreements with persons engaged in industry, commerce, distribution, or research and with governmental agencies to induce such persons to acquire, construct, reconstruct, rehabilitate, renovate, enlarge, improve, equip, or furnish, or otherwise develop, eligible projects and make provision therein for project facilities and governmental actions, as authorized by this chapter and other applicable laws, subject to any required actions by the general assembly or the controlling board and subject to applicable local government laws and regulations;
(2) Provide for the guarantees and loans as provided for in sections 166.06 and 166.07 of the Revised Code;
(3) Subject to release of such moneys by the controlling board, contract for labor and materials needed for, or contract with others, including governmental agencies, to provide, project facilities the allowable costs of which are to be paid for or reimbursed from moneys in the facilities establishment fund, and contract for the operation of such project facilities;
(4) Subject to release thereof by the controlling board, from moneys in the facilities establishment fund acquire or contract to acquire by gift, exchange, or purchase, including the obtaining and exercise of purchase options, property, and convey or otherwise dispose of, or provide for the conveyance or disposition of, property so acquired or contracted to be acquired by sale, exchange, lease, lease purchase, conditional or installment sale, transfer, or other disposition, including the grant of an option to purchase, to any governmental agency or to any other person without necessity for competitive bidding and upon such terms and conditions and manner of consideration pursuant to and as the director determines to be appropriate to satisfy the objectives of sections 166.01 to 166.11 of the Revised Code;
(5) Retain the services of or employ financial consultants, appraisers, consulting engineers, superintendents, managers, construction and accounting experts, attorneys, and employees, agents, and independent contractors as are necessary in the director's judgment and fix the compensation for their services;
(6) Receive and accept from any person grants, gifts, and contributions of money, property, labor, and other things of value, to be held, used and applied only for the purpose for which such grants, gifts, and contributions are made;
(7) Enter into appropriate arrangements and agreements with any governmental agency for the taking or provision by that governmental agency of any governmental action;
(8) Do all other acts and enter into contracts and execute all instruments necessary or appropriate to carry out the provisions of this chapter;
(9) Adopt rules to implement any of the provisions of this chapter applicable to the director.
(C) The determinations by the director that facilities constitute eligible projects, that facilities are project facilities, that costs of such facilities are allowable costs, and all other determinations relevant thereto or to an action taken or agreement entered into shall be conclusive for purposes of the validity and enforceability of rights of parties arising from actions taken and agreements entered into under this chapter.
(D) Except as otherwise prescribed in this chapter, all expenses and obligations incurred by the director in carrying out the director's powers and in exercising the director's duties under this chapter, shall be payable solely from, as appropriate, moneys in the facilities establishment fund, the loan guarantee fund, the innovation Ohio loan guarantee fund, the innovation Ohio loan fund, the research and development loan fund, the logistics and distribution infrastructure fund, or moneys appropriated for such purpose by the general assembly. This chapter does not authorize the director or the issuing authority under section 166.08 of the Revised Code to incur bonded indebtedness of the state or any political subdivision thereof, or to obligate or pledge moneys raised by taxation for the payment of any bonds or notes issued or guarantees made pursuant to this chapter.
(E) Any governmental agency may enter into an agreement with the director, any other governmental agency, or a person to be assisted under this chapter, to take or provide for the purposes of this chapter any governmental action it is authorized to take or provide, and to undertake on behalf and at the request of the director any action which the director is authorized to undertake pursuant to divisions (B)(3), (4), and (5) of this section or divisions (B)(3), (4), and (5) of section 166.12 of the Revised Code. Governmental agencies of the state shall cooperate with and provide assistance to the director of development and the controlling board in the exercise of their respective functions under this chapter.
Cite as R.C. § 166.02
History. Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 7/17/2009.
Effective Date: 07-09-2003; 2008 HB554 06-12-2008