(A) The general assembly finds that in order to enhance the economic opportunities available to and improve the economic welfare of all the people of the state, and to maintain and enhance the competitiveness of the Ohio economy, it is necessary to ensure that the people of the state will continue to have access to high-value jobs in technology, and that, to facilitate such continued access, it is necessary to provide incentives to retain and attract businesses that will develop new or improved technologies, processes, and products, or apply existing technologies in new ways. Further, the general assembly finds that the attraction of such jobs and their presence in this state will materially contribute to the economic welfare of all the people of the state. Accordingly, it is declared to be the public policy of this state, through operations under sections 166.17 to 166.21, 5733.352, and 5747.331 of the Revised Code and the provisions for financial assistance contained in those sections, other applicable laws adopted pursuant to Section 13 of Article VIII, Ohio Constitution, and other authority vested in the general assembly, to assist in and facilitate the establishment or development of eligible research and development projects or assist and cooperate with any governmental agency in achieving that purpose.
(B) In furtherance of that public policy and to implement that purpose, the director of development may do any of the following:
(1) After consultation with appropriate governmental agencies, enter into agreements with persons engaged in industry, commerce, distribution, or research and with governmental agencies, to induce such persons to acquire, construct, reconstruct, rehabilitate, renovate, enlarge, improve, equip, furnish, or develop eligible research and development projects, or to enable governmental agencies to acquire, construct, reconstruct, rehabilitate, renovate, enlarge, improve, equip, furnish, or develop eligible research and development projects for lease to persons engaged in industry, commerce, distribution, or research;
(2) Provide for loans under section 166.21 of the Revised Code to finance eligible research and development projects;
(3) Subject to the release of moneys in the research and development loan fund by the controlling board, contract for labor and materials needed for, or contract with others, including governmental agencies, to provide, eligible research and development projects, the allowable costs of which are to be paid for or reimbursed from such moneys, and contract for the operation of those projects;
(4) From moneys in the research and development loan fund, subject to release thereof by the controlling board, acquire or contract to acquire property by gift, exchange, or purchase, including by obtaining and exercising purchase options, and convey or otherwise dispose of, or provide for the conveyance or disposition of, that property by sale, exchange, lease, lease purchase, conditional or installment sale, transfer, or other disposition, including the grant of an option to purchase, to any governmental agency or to any other person without necessity for competitive bidding and upon such terms and conditions and manner of consideration pursuant to, and as the director determines to be appropriate to satisfy the objectives of, Chapter 166. of the Revised Code;
(5) Retain the services of or employ financial consultants, appraisers, consulting engineers, superintendents, managers, construction and accounting experts, attorneys, employees, agents, and independent contractors as are necessary in the director's judgment, and fix the compensation for their services;
(6) Receive and accept from any person, grants, gifts, and contributions of money, property, labor, and other things of value, to be held, used, and applied only for the purpose for which such grants, gifts, and contributions are made;
(7) Enter into arrangements and agreements with any governmental agency for the agency to take or provide any governmental action with respect to eligible research and development projects;
(8) Do all other acts, enter into contracts, execute all instruments, and make all certifications necessary or appropriate to carry out sections 166.01, 166.17 to 166.21, 5733.352, and 5747.331 of the Revised Code;
(9) With respect to property that is the subject of or related to research and development financial assistance, take such interests, including, but not limited to, mortgages, security interests, leasehold interests, assignments, and exclusive or nonexclusive licenses, as may be necessary or appropriate under the circumstances, to ensure that the property is used within this state and that products or services associated with that property are produced or, in the case of services, delivered, by persons employed within this state;
(C) The determination by the director that facilities or property constitute an eligible research and development project and that the costs of such facilities or property are allowable costs related to the project, and all other determinations relevant thereto, or to an action taken or agreement entered into, shall be conclusive for purposes of the validity and enforceability of rights of parties arising from actions taken and agreements entered into under sections 166.17 to 166.21, 5733.352, and 5747.331 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 07-09-2003