(A) The council shall have the power to:
(1) Study such area governmental problems common to two or more members of the council as it deems appropriate, including but not limited to matters affecting health, safety, welfare, education, economic conditions, and regional development;
(2) Promote cooperative arrangements and coordinate action among its members, and between its members and other agencies of local or state governments, whether or not within Ohio, and the federal government;
(3) Make recommendations for review and action to the members and other public agencies that perform functions within the region;
(4) Promote cooperative agreements and contracts among its members or other governmental agencies and private persons, corporations, or agencies;
(5) Operate a public safety answering point in accordance with Chapter 128. of the Revised Code;
(6) Perform planning directly by personnel of the council, or under contracts between the council and other public or private planning agencies.
(B) The council may:
(1) Review, evaluate, comment upon, and make recommendations, relative to the planning and programming, and the location, financing, and scheduling of public facility projects within the region and affecting the development of the area;
(2) Act as an areawide agency to perform comprehensive planning for the programming, locating, financing, and scheduling of public facility projects within the region and affecting the development of the area and for other proposed land development or uses, which projects or uses have public metropolitan wide or interjurisdictional significance;
(3) Act as an agency for coordinating, based on metropolitan wide comprehensive planning and programming, local public policies, and activities affecting the development of the region or area.
(C) The council may, by appropriate action of the governing bodies of the members, perform such other functions and duties as are performed or capable of performance by the members and necessary or desirable for dealing with problems of mutual concern.
(D) The authority granted to the council by this section or in any agreement by the members thereof shall not displace any existing municipal, county, regional, or other planning commission or planning agency in the exercise of its statutory powers.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.166, HB 360, §1, eff. 12/20/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.64, HB 225, §1, eff. 3/22/2012.
Effective Date: 03-18-1969 .