(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Nonprofit institution of higher education" or "institution" means a nonprofit college, university, or other institution that offers instruction in the arts and sciences, business administration, engineering, philosophy, literature, fine arts, law, medicine, nursing, social work, theology, and other recognized academic and professional fields of study, and awards degrees for fulfilling requirements of academic work beyond high school.
(2) "On-campus student housing" means a dormitory or other student residence that is owned or operated by or located on the campus of a nonprofit institution of higher education.
(3) "Parent" means either parent, except that if one parent has sole custody, "parent" means the parent with custody. "Parent" also includes a guardian or, in the absence of a parent or guardian, another person who has accepted responsibility for the care of the student.
(B) Beginning with the academic year that commences on or after July 1, 2005, a nonprofit institution of higher education shall not permit a student to reside in on-campus student housing unless the student, or, if the student is younger than eighteen years of age, the student's parent, discloses to the institution whether the student has been vaccinated against meningococcal meningitis and hepatitis B by submitting to the institution the meningitis and hepatitis B vaccination status statement described in division (B) of section 3701.133 of the Revised Code or a meningitis status statement form provided by the institution that meets the requirements of division (B) of section 3701.133 of the Revised Code. The statement may be submitted in written form or, if the institution has a secure web site, in electronic form.
(C) On receipt of an application for residence in on-campus student housing, a nonprofit institution of higher education shall do both of the following:
(1) Inform the student of the disclosure requirement;
(2) Provide the student in either written or, if the school has a secure web site, electronic form the meningitis and hepatitis B vaccination status statement described in division (B) of section 3701.133 of the Revised Code or a meningitis status statement form provided by the institution that meets the requirements of division (B) of section 3701.133 of the Revised Code.
(D) This section does not require an institution to provide or pay for a meningococcal meningitis or hepatitis B vaccination for any student.
Effective Date: 07-14-2004