(A) There is hereby created the third frontier advisory board that, upon request of the third frontier commission, shall provide general advice to the commission on various items including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) Strategic planning for programs administered by the commission;
(2) Budget and funding priorities, funding processes, request-for-proposal criteria, and other aspects of the management and coordination of programs administered by the commission;
(3) Metrics and methods of measuring the progress and impact of programs administered by the commission;
(4) Studies to be conducted to collect and analyze data relevant to advancing the goals of programs administered by the commission;
(B) The board shall consist of sixteen members selected for their knowledge of and experience in science and technology matters that may affect the state in the near future. Of the sixteen members, fourteen shall be appointed by the governor, one shall be appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, and one shall be appointed by the president of the senate.
(1) Of the fourteen members appointed by the governor, nine shall be representative of or have experience with business matters that affect the state and five shall be representative of or have experience with matters affecting universities or nonprofit research institutions in the state.
(2) Of the governor's initial appointees that are representative of or have experience with business matters that affect the state, three shall serve an initial term of one year, three shall serve an initial term of two years, and three shall serve an initial term of three years. All of the initial appointees that are representative of or have experience with matters affecting university or nonprofit research institutions shall serve an initial term of three years. Thereafter, each member appointed by the governor shall serve a three-year term.
(3) All appointees to the board shall serve at the pleasure of their appointing authorities.
(4) Not more than nine members of the board shall be of the same political party.
(C) The governor shall appoint the chairperson of the board from among its members, and the chairperson shall serve in that role at the pleasure of the governor.
(D) A majority of the members of the board constitutes a quorum, and no action shall be taken without the affirmative vote of a majority of the members.
(E) Each member of the board shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. A member may be reappointed for an unlimited number of terms. A member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of such term. A vacancy in an unexpired term shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment. A member of the board shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office, or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first. The governor may remove any member of the board for malfeasance, misfeasance, or nonfeasance after a hearing in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(F) Members of the board shall not act as representatives of any specific disciplinary, regional, or organizational interest. Members shall represent a wide variety of experience valuable in technology research and development, product process innovation and commercialization, and creating and managing high-growth technology-based companies.
(G) Members of the board shall file financial disclosure statements described in division (B) of section 102.02 of the Revised Code.
(H) Members of the board shall serve without compensation but shall receive their reasonable and necessary expenses incurred in the conduct of board business.
(I) Before entering upon duties as a member of the board, each member shall take an oath as provided by Section 7 of Article XV, Ohio Constitution.
(J) The department of development shall provide office space and facilities for the board.
Effective Date: 07-01-2003; 01-04-2006