(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Metropolitan statistical area" means an area of this state that is designated a metropolitan statistical area or primary metropolitan statistical area in United States office of management and budget bulletin No. 04-03, February 18, 2004, and its attachments, and the designated area is located entirely within this state. An area of this state that is designated a metropolitan statistical area or primary metropolitan statistical area, but the designated area includes areas of one or more other states, shall be considered a metropolitan statistical area only if that area of this state could be designated a metropolitan statistical area or primary metropolitan statistical area without including the areas located in the other state or states.
(2) "Rural area" means any area of this state not located within a metropolitan statistical area.
(B) The third frontier commission shall conduct outreach activities that seek to include rural areas in the various projects and initiatives sponsored, funded, encouraged, or otherwise promoted by the commission. Those activities shall include the following:
(1) Working with all institutions of higher education in the state to support faculty and students involved in science and engineering who focus on third frontier projects and initiatives in rural areas;
(2) Developing a plan to contact by telephone businesses and entrepreneurs in rural areas to notify them of and encourage them to participate in the various third frontier projects and initiatives;
(3) Identifying professional and technical trade associations and economic development assistance organizations in rural areas and notifying them of the various third frontier projects and initiatives;
(4) Partnering with regional technology councils to foster local efforts to support technology businesses in rural areas or otherwise identify networks of technology businesses, entrepreneurs, and individuals operating in rural areas;
(5) Identifying technology firms in rural areas and marketing them to the investment community including the Ohio venture capital authority created under section 150.02 of the Revised Code and the managers of all investment funds receiving third frontier project support.
Cite as R.C. § 184.18
History. Effective Date: 01-04-2006