(A) County court judges, within and coextensive with their respective counties, have jurisdiction and authority to:
(1) Administer an oath authorized or required by law to be administered;
(2) Take acknowledgments of instruments of writing;
(3) Issue subpoenas to compel the attendance of witnesses to give evidence in causes or matters pending before the judges, or for the purpose of taking depositions or perpetuating testimony;
(4) Proceed against sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, and constables failing to make return, making false return, or failing to pay over money collected on execution issued by the judges;
(5) Try actions against other county court judges for refusing or neglecting to pay over moneys collected in their official capacity when the amount claimed does not exceed five hundred dollars. This division does not deny or impair any remedy provided by law in such a case by suit on the official bond of such a county court judge, or by amercement or otherwise, for neglect or failure to pay over money so collected.
(6) Hear actions concerning the issuance and enforcement of, issue, and enforce temporary protection orders pursuant to section 2919.26 of the Revised Code and protection orders pursuant to section 2903.213 of the Revised Code;
(B) County court judges may punish contempts, and exercise powers necessary to give effect to the jurisdiction of the court and to enforce its judgments, orders, and decrees, as provided in this chapter or, in the absence of a provision in this chapter, in a manner authorized by the Revised Code or common law for the judges of the courts of common pleas.
(1) County court judges have jurisdiction and authority to perform marriage ceremonies anywhere in the state.
(2) A county court judge shall pay all marriage fees collected by the judge when not connected with any cause or proceeding pending in the county court to the treasurer of the county in which the court is located.
Cite as R.C. § 1907.18
History. Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.37, HB 238, §1, eff. 9/8/2010.
Effective Date: 07-29-1998