(A) As provided in this chapter, any judge of a county or municipal court or a court of common pleas, within the judge's proper area of jurisdiction, may inquire about persons who make unlawful and forcible entry into lands or tenements and detain them, and about persons who make a lawful and peaceable entry into lands or tenements and hold them unlawfully and by force. If, upon the inquiry, it is found that an unlawful and forcible entry has been made and the lands or tenements are detained, or that, after a lawful entry, lands or tenements are held unlawfully and by force, a judge shall cause the plaintiff in an action under this chapter to have restitution of the lands or tenements.
(B) An action shall be brought under this chapter within two years after the cause of action accrues.
(C) As used in this chapter:
(1) "Tenant" means a person who is entitled under a rental agreement to the use or occupancy of premises, other than premises located in a manufactured home park, to the exclusion of others, except that as used in division (A)(6) of section 1923.02 and section 1923.051 of the Revised Code, "tenant" includes a manufactured home park resident.
(2) "Landlord" means the owner, lessor, or sublessor of premises, or the agent or person the landlord authorizes to manage premises or to receive rent from a tenant under a rental agreement, except, if required by the facts of the action to which the term is applied, "landlord" means a park operator.
(4) "Residential premises" has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except, if required by the facts of the action to which the term is applied, "residential premises" has the same meaning as in section 4781.01 of the Revised Code.
(5) "Rental agreement" means any agreement or lease, written or oral, that establishes or modifies the terms, conditions, rules, or other provisions concerning the use or occupancy of premises by one of the parties to the agreement or lease, except that "rental agreement," as used in division (A)(13) of section 1923.02 of the Revised Code and where the context requires as used in this chapter, means a rental agreement as defined in division (D) of section 5322.01 of the Revised Code.
(11) "Manufactured home park" has the same meaning as in section 4781.01 of the Revised Code and also means any tract of land upon which one or two manufactured or mobile homes used for habitation are parked, either free of charge or for revenue purposes, pursuant to rental agreements between the owners of the manufactured or mobile homes and the owner of the tract of land.
(12) "Park operator" has the same meaning as in section 4781.01 of the Revised Code and also means a landlord of premises upon which one or two manufactured or mobile homes used for habitation are parked, either free of charge or for revenue purposes, pursuant to rental agreements between the owners of the manufactured or mobile homes and a landlord who is not licensed as a manufactured home park operator pursuant to Chapter 4781. of the Revised Code.
(13) "Personal property" means tangible personal property other than a manufactured home, mobile home, or recreational vehicle that is the subject of an action under this chapter.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 07-31-2003; 10-13-2004; 2007 SB10 07-01-2007; 2007 HB56 10-18-2007