(A) There is hereby created in the state treasury the second chance trust fund. The fund shall consist of voluntary contributions deposited as provided in sections 4503.721, 4506.081, 4507.231, and 4507.501 of the Revised Code. All investment earnings of the fund shall be credited to the fund.
(B) The director of health shall use the money in the fund only for the following purposes:
(1) Development and implementation of a campaign that explains and promotes the second chance trust fund;
(2) Development and implementation of local and statewide public education programs about organ, tissue, and eye donation, including the informational material required to be provided under sections 4506.081, 4507.231, and 4507.501 of the Revised Code;
(3) Development and implementation of local and statewide donor awareness programs in schools;
(4) Development and implementation of local and statewide programs to recognize donor families;
(5) Development and distribution of materials promoting organ, tissue, and eye donation;
(6) Cooperation with the Ohio Supreme Court, Ohio State Bar Association, and law schools of this state to more effectively educate attorneys about the donation of anatomical gifts and to encourage them to assist their clients in donating anatomical gifts through anatomical gift declarations, durable powers of attorney for health care, declarations as defined in section 2133.01 of the Revised Code, wills, and any other appropriate means;
(7) Cooperation with the state medical board, state medical, osteopathic, and ophthalmological associations, and colleges of medicine and osteopathic medicine in this state to more effectively educate physicians about the donation of anatomical gifts and to encourage them to assist their patients in making declarations of anatomical gifts;
(10) Reimbursement of the department of health for administrative costs incurred in the performance of duties under this section and section 2108.35 of the Revised Code;
(11) Reimbursement of members of the second chance fund advisory committee for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of official duties.
(C) The director shall make the materials developed under division (B)(5) of this section available to other state agencies.
(D) The director shall consider recommendations made by the second chance trust fund advisory committee pursuant to section 2108.35 of the Revised Code. The director shall determine the appropriateness of and approve or disapprove projects recommended by the advisory committee for funding and approve or disapprove the disbursement of money from the second chance trust fund.
Effective Date: 2008 HB529 04-07-2009