(A) There is hereby created within the department of health the second chance trust fund advisory committee, consisting of thirteen members. The members shall include the following:
(1) The chairs of the standing committees of the house of representatives and senate with primary responsibilities for health legislation;
(2) One representative of each of the following appointed by the director of health:
(a) An Ohio organ procurement organization that is a member of the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network;
(b) An Ohio tissue bank that is an accredited member of the American association of tissue banks;
(c) An Ohio eye bank that is certified by the eye bank association of America;
(d) The Ohio solid organ transplantation consortium;
(e) A hospital to which both of the following apply:
(i) It is a member of the Ohio hospital association.
(ii) It has a transplant program or a facility that has been verified as a level I or level II trauma center by the American college of surgeons.
(f) The department of health.
(3) Three members of the public appointed by the director who are not affiliated with procurement organizations;
(4) Two members appointed by the director who are either affiliated with procurement organizations or members of the public.
(B) Of the members first appointed under division (A)(2) of this section, the representatives of the organ procurement organization, tissue procurement organization, and eye bank shall serve terms of three years; the representatives of the department of health and Ohio solid organ transplantation consortium shall serve terms of two years; and the member representing the Ohio hospital association shall serve a term of one year. Thereafter, all members shall serve terms of three years.
(C) Members appointed under division (A)(2), (3), or (4) of this section shall be geographically and demographically representative of the state. No more than a total of three members appointed under divisions (A)(2), (3), and (4) of this section shall be affiliated with the same procurement organization or group of procurement organizations. Procurement organizations that recover only one type of organ, tissue, or part, as well as procurement organizations that recover more than one type of organ, tissue, or part, shall be represented.
No individual appointed under division (A)(2), (3), or (4) of this section shall serve more than two consecutive terms, regardless of whether the terms were full or partial terms. Each member shall serve from the date of appointment until the member's successor is appointed. All vacancies on the committee shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment.
(D) The committee shall annually elect a chairperson from among its members and shall establish procedures for the governance of its operations. The committee shall meet at least semiannually. It shall submit an annual report of its activities and recommendations to the director of health.
(E) Committee members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed from the second chance trust fund for all actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of official duties.
(F) The committee shall do all of the following:
(1) Make recommendations to the director of health for projects for funding from the second chance trust fund;
(3) As requested, consult with the registrar or director on other matters related to organ donation;
(4) Approve brochures, written materials, and electronic media regarding anatomical gifts and anatomical gift procedures for use in driver training schools pursuant to section 4508.021 of the Revised Code.
Cite as R.C. § 2108.35
History. Effective Date: 2008 HB529 04-07-2009
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4