(A) A person shall file an application under sections 2323.58 to 2323.585 of the Revised Code for the approval in advance of a transfer of structured settlement payment rights in the Ohio court that approved the structured settlement agreement. If the structured settlement agreement was not approved by an Ohio court, a person shall file an application under sections 2323.58 to 2323.585 of the Revised Code for the approval in advance of a transfer of structured settlement payment rights in the probate division of the court of common pleas of the county in which the payee, the structured settlement obligor, or the annuity issuer resides.
(B) The following procedures shall apply to an application for the approval in advance by a court of a transfer of structured settlement payment rights under division (A) of this section:
(1) Upon the filing of the application, the court shall set a date and time for a hearing on the application and shall notify the transferee of the date, time, and place of the hearing.
(2) Not less than twenty days prior to the date set by the court for the hearing on an application filed pursuant to this section, the transferee shall file with the court and shall serve on the court or any responsible administrative authority that previously approved the structured settlement, on all interested parties, and on the annuity issuer and the structured settlement obligor, in the manner prescribed in the Rules of Civil Procedure for the service of process, a notice of the proposed transfer and the application for its approval in advance. The notice shall include all of the following:
(a) A copy of the application;
(b) A copy of the transfer agreement;
(c) A copy of the disclosure statement provided by the transferee pursuant to section 2323.582 of the Revised Code and signed by the payee pursuant to division (A) of section 2323.583 of the Revised Code;
(d) Notification of the date, time, and place of the hearing on the application;
(e) Notification that any interested party may support, oppose, or otherwise respond to the application, either in person or by counsel, by submitting to the court a written response containing the interested party's support of, opposition to, or comments on the application or by participating in the hearing;
(f) Notification of the manner of filing a written response to the application and the time within which the response is required to be filed in order for the court to consider it.
(3) Within fifteen days after receipt of the notice described in division (B)(2) of this section, any interested party who wishes to respond to the application shall file a written response with the court personally or by certified mail, return receipt requested.
(4) At the conclusion of the hearing on an application under this section, the court may grant or deny the approval of the transfer. The court shall enter its order accordingly. If the court grants the approval of the transfer, it shall include in its order all of the express findings specified in section 2323.583 of the Revised Code. If the court denies the approval of the transfer, it shall include in its order the reasons for the denial.
(5) An order of the court made under division (B)(4) of this section is a final and appealable order.
Effective Date: 10-27-2000