(A) As used in this section, "alternative residential facility" has the same meaning as in section 2929.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) The department of rehabilitation and correction, through its division of parole and community services, may operate or contract for the operation of one or more violation sanction centers as an alternative residential facility. A violation sanction center operated under authority of this division is not a prison as defined in section 2929.01 of the Revised Code. A violation sanction center operated under authority of this division may be used for either of the following purposes:
(1) Service of the term of a more restrictive post-release control sanction that the parole board, subsequent to a hearing, imposes pursuant to division (F)(2) of section 2967.28 of the Revised Code upon a releasee who has violated a post-release control sanction imposed upon the releasee under that section;
(2) Service of a sanction that the adult parole authority or parole board imposes upon a parolee whom the authority determines to be a parole violator because of a violation of the terms and conditions of the parolee's parole or conditional pardon.
(C) If a violation sanction center is established under the authority of this section, notwithstanding the fact that the center is an alternative residential facility for the purposes described in division (B) of this section, the center shall be used only for the purposes described in that division. A violation sanction center established under the authority of this section is not an alternative residential facility for the purpose of imposing sentence on an offender who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a felony, and a court that is sentencing an offender for a felony pursuant to sections 2929.11 to 2929.19 of the Revised Code shall not sentence the offender to a community residential sanction that requires the offender to serve a term in the center.
(D) If a releasee is ordered to serve a sanction in a violation sanction center, as described in division (B)(1) of this section, all of the following apply:
(1) The releasee shall not be considered to be under a new prison term for a violation of post-release control.
(2) The time the releasee serves in the center shall not count toward, and shall not be considered in determining, the maximum cumulative prison term for all violations that is described in division (F)(3) of section 2967.28 of the Revised Code.
(3) The time the releasee serves in the center shall count as part of, and shall be credited toward, the remaining period of post-release control that is applicable to the releasee.
Effective Date: 03-23-2000; 2008 HB130 04-07-2009