(A) The board of trustees of a joint emergency medical services district shall employ an executive director, who shall be in the unclassified service, and fix his compensation. In addition to that compensation, the director shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of his official duties. The board may enter into an employment contract with the executive director for a period not to exceed three years. In the absence of contrary contractual provisions, the board may remove the director by a majority vote of the full membership, but only after holding a hearing on the matter if the director requests such a hearing.
Except as otherwise provided in this division, the board shall prescribe the director's duties and may authorize the director to act on its behalf in the performance of its administrative duties. In addition to those duties prescribed by the board, the director shall do all the following:
(1) Subject to the board's approval for each contract, execute contracts on the board's behalf;
(2) Supervise all services provided or contracted for and all facilities operated or contracted for, and ensure that emergency medical services are being lawfully administered in conformity with the Revised Code and the resolution creating the district;
(3) Recommend changes to the board that may increase the effectiveness of emergency medical services within the district;
(4) Employ persons for all positions authorized by the board and approve all personnel actions that affect classified employees;
(5) Approve compensation for employees within the limits set by the salary schedule and budget established by the board;
(6) Prepare an annual report of the services provided by the district, including a fiscal accounting, for the board to approve.
(B) Except as otherwise provided in this section, employees of the district shall be treated the same as county employees for the purposes of Chapter 124. of the Revised Code and any other provisions of state law applicable to county employees. Instead of or in addition to appointing employees of the district, the board of trustees may contract with one or more of the participating counties for county employees to serve the district and for the district to share in their compensation in any manner that may be agreed upon in the joint resolution creating the district.
Effective Date: 11-11-1994
The amendment to this section by 129th General AssemblyFile No.10,SB 5, §1 was rejected by voters in the November, 2011 election.