(A) As used in this section , "applicant" or "recipient" means any of the following:
(1) An applicant for or participant in the Ohio works first program established under Chapter 5107. of the Revised Code ;
(2) An applicant for or recipient of disability financial assistance under Chapter 5115. of the Revised Code;
(B) Each county department of job and family services shall establish a direct deposit system under which cash assistance payments to recipients who agree to direct deposit are made by electronic transfer to an account in a financial institution designated under this section. No financial institution shall impose any charge for such an account that the institution does not impose on its other customers for the same type of account. Direct deposit does not affect the exemption of Ohio works first and disability financial assistance from attachment, garnishment, or other like process afforded by sections 5107.75 and 5115.06 of the Revised Code.
(C) Each county department of job and family services shall do all of the following:
(1) Inform each applicant or recipient that the applicant or recipient must choose whether to receive cash assistance payments under the direct deposit system established under this section or under the electronic benefit transfer system established under section 5101.33 of the Revised Code;
(2) Inform each applicant and recipient of the conditions under which the applicant or recipient may change the system used to receive the cash assistance payments;
(3) Inform each applicant or recipient of the procedures governing the direct deposit system;
(4) If an applicant or recipient chooses to receive cash assistance payments under the direct deposit system, obtain from the applicant or recipient an authorization form to designate a financial institution equipped for and authorized by law to accept direct deposits by electronic transfer and the account into which the applicant or recipient wishes the payments to be made ;
(5) If an applicant or recipient chooses to receive cash assistance payments under the electronic benefit transfer system established under section 5101.33 of the Revised Code, obtain from the applicant or recipient a signed form to that effect.
The department may require a recipient to complete a new authorization form whenever the department considers it necessary.
A recipient's designation of a financial institution and account shall remain in effect until withdrawn in writing or dishonored by the financial institution, except that no change may be made in the authorization form until the next eligibility redetermination of the recipient unless the county department determines that good cause exists for an earlier change or the financial institution dishonors the recipient's account.
(D) An applicant or recipient without an account who completes an authorization form to receive cash assistance payments by direct deposit shall have ten days after receiving the authorization form to designate an account suitable for direct deposit. If within the required time the applicant or recipient does not make the designation , the recipient shall receive cash assistance payments under the electronic benefit transfer system established under section 5101.33 of the Revised Code.
(E) The director of job and family services may adopt rules governing direct deposit systems established under this section.
Cite as R.C. § 329.03
History. Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 06-26-2003