(A) The education management information system advisory board is hereby established. The board shall make recommendations to the department of education for improving the operation of the education management information system established under section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code. Topics that may be addressed by the recommendations include the definitions used for the data maintained in the system, reporting deadlines, rules and guidelines for the operation of the system adopted by the state board of education pursuant to section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code, and any other issues raised by education personnel who work with the system.
(B) The board shall consist of the following members:
(1) Two members of the state board, appointed by the state board;
(2) One person appointed by the Ohio educational service center association;
(3) One person appointed by the buckeye association of school administrators;
(4) One person appointed by the Ohio association of school business officials;
(5) One person appointed by the Ohio association of EMIS professionals;
(6) One representative of four-year institutions of higher education, appointed by the Ohio board of regents;
(7) One representative of two-year institutions of higher education, appointed by the Ohio association of community colleges;
(8) Two representatives of the department, appointed by the superintendent of public instruction;
(9) Two persons appointed by the management council of the Ohio education computer network;
(10) One classroom teacher appointed jointly by the Ohio education association and the Ohio federation of teachers. The chairpersons and ranking minority members of the education committees of the senate and house of representatives, or their designees, shall be ex officio, nonvoting members of the board.
(C) Members of the board initially appointed under division (B) of this section shall serve until January 1, 2008. Thereafter, terms of office shall be for two years, each term ending on the same day of the same month as did the term that it succeeds. Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. Members may be reappointed.
(D) Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of that term. Members shall receive no compensation for their services.
(E) The chairpersons of the education committees of the senate and house of representatives, or their designees, shall alternate annually as chairperson of the board. The board shall meet once every two months and at other times upon the call of the chairperson.
(F) If at any time the education management information system is replaced with a new system for collecting financial and student performance data for school districts and buildings, the board established by this section shall continue to function in the manner prescribed by this section in relation to the new data collection system after the new system is operational.
Effective Date: 09-28-2006
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4