(A) The state council on educational opportunity for military children is hereby established within the department of education. The council shall consist of the following members:
(1) The superintendent of public instruction or the superintendent's designee;
(2) The director of veterans services or the director's designee;
(3) The superintendent of a school district that has a high concentration of children of military families, appointed by the governor;
(4) A representative of a military installation located in this state, appointed by the governor;
(5) A representative of the governor's office, appointed by the governor;
(6) Four members of the general assembly, appointed as follows:
(a) One member of the house of representatives appointed by thespeaker of the house of representatives;
(b) One member of the house of representatives appointed by the minority leader of the house of representatives;
(c) One member of the senate appointed by the president of the senate;
(d) One member of the senate appointed by the minority leader of the senate.
(7) The compact commissioner appointed under section 3301.62 of the Revised Code;
(8) The military family education liaison appointed under section 3301.63 of the Revised Code;
(9) Other members appointed in the manner prescribed by and seated at the discretion of the voting members of the council.
The members of the council shall serve at the pleasure of their appointing authorities. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner of the initial appointments.
The members appointed under divisions (A)(6) to (9) of this section shall be nonvoting members of the council.
The members of the council shall serve without compensation.
(B) The council shall oversee and provide coordination for the state's participation in and compliance with the interstate compact on educational opportunity for military children, as ratified by section 3301.60 of the Revised Code.
(C) The department of education shall provide staff support for the council.
(E) As used in this section, "children of military families" and "military installation" have the same meanings as in Article II of the interstate compact on educational opportunity for military children.
Added by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.