(B) On receipt of an order issued under section 3105.171 or 3105.65 of the Revised Code, an entity providing a participant's alternative retirement plan shall determine whether the order meets the requirements of sections 3105.80 to 3105.90 of the Revised Code, The entity shall retain in the participant's record an order the entity determines meets the requirements. Not later than ten days after receipt, the entity shall return to the court that issued the order any order the entity determines does not meet the requirements.
(C) The entity shall comply with an order retained under division (B) of this section at the following times as appropriate:
(1) If the participant has applied for or is receiving a benefit or has applied for but not yet received a lump sum payment, as soon as practicable;
(2) If the participant has not applied for a benefit or lump sum payment, on application by the participant for a benefit or lump sum payment.
(D) If an entity providing an alternative retirement plan is required to transfer a participant's account balance to an entity providing an alternative retirement plan that is not named in the order, the transferring entity shall do both of the following:
(1) Notify the court that issued the order by sending the court a copy of the order and the name and address of the entity to which the transfer was made.
(2) Send a copy of the order to the entity to which the transfer was made.
(E) An entity that receives a participant's account balance and a copy of an order as provided in division (D) of this section, shall administer the order as if it were the entity named in the order.
(F) If a participant's benefit or lump sum payment is or will be subject to more than one order described in section 3105.81 of the Revised Code or to an order described in section 3105.81 of the Revised Code and a withholding order under section 3111.23 or 3113.21 of the Revised Code, the entity providing the alternative retirement plan shall, after determining that the amounts that are or will be withheld will cause the benefit or lump sum payment to fall below the limits described in section 3105.85 of the Revised Code, do all of the following:
(2) Reduce the amount paid to an alternate payee based on the priority established under division (F)(1) of this section;
(3) Notify, by regular mail, a participant and alternate payee of any action taken under this division.
(G) A withholding or deduction notice issued under section 3111.23 or 3113.21 of the Revised Code or an order described in section 3115.32 of the Revised Code has priority over all other orders and shall be complied with in accordance with child support enforcement laws. All other orders are entitled to priority in order of earliest retention by the entity providing a participant's alternative retirement plan. The entity is not to retain an order that provides for the division of property unless the order is filed in a court with jurisdiction in this state.
(H) An entity providing an alternative retirement plan is not liable in civil damages for loss resulting from any action or failure to act in compliance with this section.
Cite as R.C. § 3305.21
History. Effective Date: 01-01-2002