(A) The state teachers retirement board may establish by rule payroll deduction plans for payment of the following:
(1) The cost of restoring service credit under section 3307.71 or 3307.711 of the Revised Code or purchasing any service credit members of the state teachers retirement system are eligible to purchase under this chapter;
(B) In addition to any other matter considered relevant by the board, the rules adopted under this section shall specify all of the following:
(1) The types of service credit that may be paid for through payroll deduction, including the section of the Revised Code that authorizes the purchase of each type of service credit for which payment may be made by payroll deduction;
(2) The procedure for informing the member's employer and the system that the member wishes to use payroll deduction to purchase service credit or pay for participation in programs established under section 3307.391 of the Revised Code;
(3) The procedure to be followed by the system and employers to determine for each request the amount to be deducted, the number of deductions to be made, and the interval at which deductions will be made. The rules may provide for a minimum amount for each deduction. They may also provide for a maximum number of deductions for the purchase of any type of service credit.
(4) The procedure to be followed by employers in transmitting amounts deducted from the compensation of their employees to the system;
(5) The procedure to be followed by the system in crediting service credit to members who choose to purchase it through payroll deduction;
(6) The time period within which employers are required to transmit amounts deducted from payrolls to the system;
(7) Procedures to be followed by the system and the member's employer for the member to pay in a single payment the balance of the cost of the credit when a member separates from service from the employer administering the member's payroll deduction plan.
(1) If the board establishes a payroll deduction plan under this section, it shall certify to the member's employer, for each member for whom deductions are to be made, the amount of each deduction and the payrolls from which deductions are to be made. The employer shall make the deductions as certified and transmit the amounts deducted in accordance with the rules established by the board under this section.
(2) If an employer does not transmit amounts deducted from the compensation of an employee to the system within the time period specified in rules adopted under division (B)(6) of this section, the employer shall pay interest on the deducted amount compounded annually at a rate to be determined by the board from the date the amount is deducted to the date it is transmitted to the system.
(D) Rules adopted under this section shall not affect any right to purchase service credit conferred by any other section of the Revised Code, including the right of a member under any such section to purchase only part of the service credit the member is eligible to purchase.
(E) No payroll deduction made pursuant to this section may exceed the amount of a member's net compensation after all other deductions and withholdings required by law.
Cite as R.C. § 3307.701
History. Renumbered from § 3307.70 and amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.147, SB 342, §1, eff. 1/7/2013.