(A) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, the following shall be contributors to the school employees retirement system:
(2) The employees of an existing or newly created employer unit as defined in division (A) of section 3309.01 of the Revised Code, supported in whole or in part by the state or any political subdivision thereof and wholly controlled and managed by the state or any subdivision thereof. Such employees shall become contributors on the same terms and conditions as provided by this chapter, provided the board of trustees or other managing body of such school, college, or other institution, if such institution is now in existence or if in existence on such date, shall agree by formal resolution to accept all the requirements and obligations imposed by this chapter upon employers. A certified copy of the resolution shall be filed with the school employees retirement board. When such resolution has been adopted and a copy of it filed with the school employees retirement board, it shall not later be subject to rescission or abrogation. Service in such schools, colleges, or other institutions shall be then considered in every way the same as service in the public schools.
(3) All other individuals who become members.
(B) The following individuals may choose to be exempt from compulsory membership by filing a written application for exemption with the employer within the first month after being employed:
(1) A student who is not a member at the time of employment and who is employed by the school, college, or university in which the student is enrolled and regularly attending classes;
(2) An emergency employee serving on a temporary basis in case of fire, snow, earthquake, flood, or other similar emergency;
(3) An individual employed in a program established pursuant to the " Workforce Investment Act," 112 Stat. 936 ( 1998), 29 U.S.C. 2801, or any other federal job training program.
(C) A member may elect to have employment by the school, college, or university at which the member is enrolled and regularly attending classes exempted from contribution to the retirement system by filing a written application with the member's employer within the first month after being so employed.
(D) In all cases of doubt pertaining to contributors on an individual or group basis or the status of existing or newly created employer units, the decision shall be made by the retirement board, and such decision shall be final.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.146, SB 341, §1, eff. 1/7/2013.
Effective Date: 07-29-1992 .