(A) With the approval of the department of education, a board of education of a city, exempted village, local, or joint vocational school district may operate any of its schools on a schedule other than that required by section 3313.48 of the Revised Code in order to do any of the following:
(1) To provide a flexible school day during which may be held parent-teacher conferences and reporting periods involving time in excess of that permitted to be credited toward fulfillment of the minimum school year under section 3313.48 of the Revised Code;
(2) To establish and maintain a calendar of quarters, trimesters, or pentamesters;
(3) To provide staggered attendance schedules if it receives approval to do so from the department of education.
(B) A school district operating a school under this section shall have such school open for instruction for each pupil enrolled in that school for at least nine hundred ten hours during the school year. For purposes of determining whether a school that is on a staggered attendance schedule is in compliance with this section in any school year, the department of education may include days the school was open for instruction with pupils in attendance for not more than the first seventy days of the ensuing school year provided such days are not considered as days the school was open for instruction during such ensuing school year. The following shall be considered as time during which the schools are open for instruction for a pupil enrolled in such a school, or for a pupil enrolled in a school that is not on a staggered attendance schedule but that operates under this section:
(1) Morning and afternoon recess periods of not more than fifteen minutes duration per period for a pupil in grades one through six;
(2) Ten hours during which the pupil would otherwise be in attendance but when he is not required to attend school in order to provide time for individualized parent-teacher conferences and reporting periods;
(3) Ten hours during which the pupil would otherwise be in attendance but is not required to attend school in order to provide time for teachers to attend professional meetings;
(4) The number of hours pupils would otherwise be in attendance but are not required to attend because school is closed as a result of a public calamity as provided in section 3317.01 of the Revised Code.
(C) No board of education shall discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, or national origin when assigning pupils to attendance schedules pursuant to this section.
Effective Date: 05-21-1986