(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Board of education" means the board of education of a city, local, exempted village, or joint vocational school district.
(2) "Healthcheck" means the early and periodic screening, diagnosis, and treatment program, a component of the medicaid program .
(3) "Pupil" means a person under age twenty-two enrolled in the schools of a city, local, exempted village, or joint vocational school district.
(4) "Parent" means either parent with the following exceptions:
(a) If one parent has custody by court order, "parent" means the parent with custody.
(b) If neither parent has legal custody, "parent" means the person or government entity with legal custody.
(c) The child's legal guardian or a person who has accepted responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of the child.
(B) At the request of the department of medicaid, a board of education shall establish and conduct a healthcheck program for pupils enrolled in the schools of the district who are medicaid recipients . At the request of a board of education, the department may authorize the board to establish a healthcheck program. A board that establishes a healthcheck program shall enter into a medicaid provider agreement with the department.
A healthcheck program established by a board of education shall be conducted in accordance with rules adopted by the medicaid director under division (F) of this section. The healthcheck program shall include all of the following components:
(1) A comprehensive health and development history;
(2) A comprehensive physical examination;
(3) A developmental assessment;
(4) A nutritional assessment;
(5) A vision assessment;
(6) A hearing assessment;
(7) An immunization assessment;
(8) Lead screening and laboratory tests ordered by a doctor of medicine or osteopathic medicine as part of one of the other components;
(9) Such other assessment as may be required by the department of medicaid in accordance with the requirements of the healthcheck program.
All services included in a board of education's healthcheck program that the board provided under sections 3313.67, 3313.673, 3313.68, 3313.69, and 3313.71 of the Revised Code during the 1990-1991 school year shall continue to be provided to medicaid recipients by the board pursuant to those sections. The services shall be considered part of the healthcheck program for medicaid recipients , and the board shall be eligible for payment from the department in accordance with this division for providing the services.
The department shall pay boards of education for healthcheck program services provided under this division at the rates paid under the medicaid program to physicians, dentists, nurses, and other providers of healthcheck services.
(C) Each board of education that conducts a healthcheck program shall determine for each pupil enrolled in the schools of the district whether the pupil is a medicaid recipient. The department of medicaid and county departments of job and family services shall assist the board in making these determinations. Except as necessary to carry out the purposes of this section, all information received by a board under this division shall be confidential.
Before the first day of October of each year, each board that conducts a healthcheck program shall send the parent of each pupil who is under age eighteen and a medicaid recipient notice that the pupil will be examined under the district's healthcheck program unless the parent notifies the board that the parent denies consent for the examination. The notice shall include a form to be used by the parent to indicate that the parent denies consent. The denial shall be effective only if the form is signed by the parent and returned to the board or the school in which the pupil is enrolled. If the parent does not return a signed form indicating denial of consent within two weeks after the date the notice is sent, the school district and the department of medicaid shall deem the parent to have consented to examination of the parent's child under the healthcheck program. In the case of a pupil age eighteen or older, the notice shall be given to the pupil, and the school district and the department of medicaid shall deem the pupil to have consented to examination unless the pupil returns the signed form indicating the pupil's denial of consent.
(1) As used in this division:
(a) "Nonfederal share" means the portion of expenditures for services that is required under the medicaid program to be paid for with state or local government funds.
(b) "Federal financial participation" means the portion of expenditures for services that is payable under the medicaid program with federal funds.
(2) At the request of a board of education, the state department may enter into an agreement with the board under which the board provides medical services to a medicaid recipient that are payable under the medicaid program but not under the healthcheck program. The agreement may be for a term specified in the agreement and renewable by mutual consent of the board and the department, or may continue in force as long as agreeable to the board and the department.
The board shall use state or local funds of the district to pay the nonfederal share of expenditures for services provided under this division. Prior to entering into or renewing an agreement and at any other time requested by the department while the agreement is in force, the board shall certify to the department in accordance with the rules adopted under division (F) of this section that it will have sufficient state or local funds to pay the nonfederal share of expenditures under this division. If the board fails to make the certification, the department shall not enter into or renew the agreement. If an agreement has been entered into, it shall be void unless the board makes the certification not later than fifteen days after receiving notice from the department that the certification is due. The board shall report to the department, in accordance with the rules, the amount of state or local funds it spends to provide services under this division.
The department shall pay the board the federal financial participation allowed for the board's expenditures for services under this division. The total of the nonfederal share spent by the board and the federal financial participation paid by the department for a service rendered under this division shall be an amount agreed to by the board and the department, but shall not exceed the maximum payable amount for that service under rules adopted under section 5164.02 of the Revised Code. The rules adopted under division (F) of this section shall include procedures under which the department will recover from a board overpayments and subsequent federal audit disallowances of federal financial participation paid by the department.
(E) A board of education shall provide services under division (D) of this section and under its healthcheck program as provided in division (E)(1), (2), or (3) of this section:
(1) By having the services performed by physicians, dentists, and nurses employed by the board;
(2) By contracting with physicians, dentists, nurses, and other providers of services who have medicaid provider agreements with the department of medicaid;
(3) By having some of the services performed by persons described in division (E)(1) of this section and others performed by persons described in division (E)(2) of this section.
(F) The medicaid director shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code governing healthcheck programs conducted under this section and services provided under division (D) of this section.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Effective Date: 07-01-2000