(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Electronic communications device" means any device that is powered by batteries or electricity and that is capable of receiving, transmitting, or receiving and transmitting communications between two or more persons or a communication from or to a person.
(2) "Pocket pager" means any device that can be carried by a person, that is capable of receiving a radio signal or other telecommunications signal, and that emits a signal upon receipt of a radio or other telecommunications signal.
(3) "School" means any school that is operated by a board of education of a city, local, exempted village, or joint vocational school district.
(4) "School building" means any building in which any of the instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by a school is conducted.
(5) "School grounds or premises" means either of the following:
(a) The parcel of real property on which any school building is situated;
(b) Any other parcel of real property that is owned or leased by a board of education and on which some of the instruction, extracurricular activities, or training of the school is conducted.
(B) The board of education of any city, exempted village, local, joint vocational, or cooperative education school district may adopt a policy prohibiting pupils from carrying a pocket pager or other electronic communications device in any school building or on any school grounds or premises of the district. The policy may provide for exceptions to this prohibition as specified in the policy. The policy shall specify any disciplinary measures that will be taken for violation of this prohibition. If a board of education adopts a policy under this section, the board shall post the policy in a central location in each school building and make it available to pupils and parents upon request.
Effective Date: 10-29-1996 .