This section applies to any entity that sponsors a community school, regardless of whether section 3314.021 or 3314.027 of the Revised Code exempts the entity from the requirement to be approved for sponsorship under divisions (A)(2) and (B)(1) of section 3314.015 of the Revised Code. The office of Ohio school sponsorship established under section 3314.029 of the Revised Code shall be rated under division (B) of this section, but divisions (A) and (C) of this section do not apply to the office.
(A) An entity that sponsors a community school shall be permitted to enter into contracts under section 3314.03 of the Revised Code to sponsor additional community schools only if the entity meets both of the following criteria:
(1) The entity is in compliance with all provisions of this chapter requiring sponsors of community schools to report data or information to the department of education.
(2) The entity is not rated as "ineffective" under division (B)(6) of this section.
(1) For purposes of this section, the department shall develop and implement an evaluation system that rates each entity that sponsors a community school based on the following components:
(a) Academic performance of students enrolled in community schools sponsored by the same entity;
(b) Adherence by a sponsor to the quality practices prescribed by the department under division (B)(3) of this section. The department shall not include this measure in the sponsor evaluation rating system until the department prescribes quality practices and develops an instrument to measure adherence to those practices under division (B)(3) of this section.
(c) Compliance with applicable laws and administrative rules by an entity that sponsors a community school.
(2) In calculating an academic performance component, the department shall exclude all of the following:
(a) All community schools that have been in operation for not more than two full school years;
(3) The department, in consultation with entities that sponsor community schools, shall prescribe quality practices for community school sponsors and develop an instrument to measure adherence to those quality practices. The quality practices shall be based on standards developed by the national association of charter school authorizers or any other nationally organized community school organization.
(a) The department may permit peer review of a sponsor's adherence to the quality practices prescribed under division (B)(3) of this section.
(b) The department shall require individuals participating in peer review under division (B)(4)(a) of this section to complete training approved or established by the department.
(c) The department may enter into an agreement with another entity to provide training to individuals conducting peer review of sponsors. Prior to entering into an agreement with an entity, the department shall review and approve of the entity's training program.
(5) Not later than July 1, 2013, the state board of education shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code prescribing standards for measuring compliance with applicable laws and rules under division (B)(1)(c) of this section.
(6) The department annually shall rate all entities that sponsor community schools as either "exemplary," "effective," or "ineffective," based on the components prescribed by division (B) of this section, where each component is weighted equally, except that entities sponsoring community schools for the first time may be assigned the rating of "emerging" for only the first two consecutive years.
The department shall publish the ratings between the first day of October and the fifteenth day of October.
(a) Prior to the 2014-2015 school year, student academic performance prescribed under division (B)(1)(a) of this section shall not include student academic performance data from community schools that primarily serve students enrolled in a dropout prevention and recovery program as described in division (A)(4)(a) of section 3314.35 of the Revised Code.
(b) For the 2014-2015 school year and each school year thereafter, student academic performance prescribed under division (B)(1)(a) of this section shall include student academic performance data from community schools that primarily serve students enrolled in a dropout prevention and recovery program.
(C) If the governing authority of a community school enters into a contract with a sponsor prior to the date on which the sponsor is prohibited from sponsoring additional schools under division (A) of this section and the school has not opened for operation as of that date, that contract shall be void and the school shall not open until the governing authority secures a new sponsor by entering into a contract with the new sponsor under section 3314.03 of the Revised Code. However, the department's office of Ohio school sponsorship, established under section 3314.029 of the Revised Code, may assume the sponsorship of the school until the earlier of the expiration of two school years or until a new sponsor is secured by the school's governing authority. A community school sponsored by the department under this division shall not be included when calculating the maximum number of directly authorized community schools permitted under division (A)(3) of section 3314.029 of the Revised Code.
Cite as R.C. § 3314.016
History. Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.184, HB 555, §1, eff. 1/1/2015.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.128, SB 316, §101.01, eff. 9/24/2012.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.
Note: This section is set out twice. See also §3314.0161, effective until 1/1/2015.