A board of education may admit to its schools a child it is not required by section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code to admit, if tuition is paid for the child.
Unless otherwise provided by law, tuition shall be computed in accordance with this section. A district's tuition charge for a school year shall be one of the following:
(A) For any child, except a preschool child with a disability described in division (B) of this section, the quotient obtained by dividing the sum of the amounts described in divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section by the district's formula ADM.
(1) The district's total taxes charged and payable for current expenses for the tax year preceding the tax year in which the school year begins as certified under division (A)(3) of section 3317.021 of the Revised Code.
(2) The district's total taxes collected for current expenses under a school district income tax adopted pursuant to section 5748.03, 5748.08, or 5748.09 of the Revised Code that are disbursed to the district during the fiscal year, excluding any income tax receipts allocated for the project cost, debt service, or maintenance set-aside associated with a state-assisted classroom facilities project as authorized by section 3318.052 of the Revised Code. On or before the first day of June of each year, the tax commissioner shall certify the amount to be used in the calculation under this division for the next fiscal year to the department of education and the office of budget and management for each city, local, and exempted village school district that levies a school district income tax.
(B) For any preschool child with a disability , an amount computed for the school year as follows:
(1) For each type of special education service provided to the child for whom tuition is being calculated, determine the amount of the district's operating expenses in providing that type of service to all preschool children with disabilities ;
(2) For each type of special education service for which operating expenses are determined under division (B)(1) of this section, determine the amount of such operating expenses that was paid from any state funds received under this chapter;
(3) For each type of special education service for which operating expenses are determined under division (B)(1) of this section, divide the difference between the amount determined under division (B)(1) of this section and the amount determined under division (B)(2) of this section by the total number of preschool children with disabilities who received that type of service;
(4) Determine the sum of the quotients obtained under division (B)(3) of this section for all types of special education services provided to the child for whom tuition is being calculated.
The state board of education shall adopt rules defining the types of special education services and specifying the operating expenses to be used in the computation under this section.
If any child for whom a tuition charge is computed under this section for any school year is enrolled in a district for only part of that school year, the amount of the district's tuition charge for the child for the school year shall be computed in proportion to the number of school days the child is enrolled in the district during the school year.
Except as otherwise provided in division (J) of section 3313.64 of the Revised Code, whenever a district admits a child to its schools for whom tuition computed in accordance with this section is an obligation of another school district, the amount of the tuition shall be certified by the treasurer of the board of education of the district of attendance, to the board of education of the district required to pay tuition for its approval and payment. If agreement as to the amount payable or the district required to pay the tuition cannot be reached, or the board of education of the district required to pay the tuition refuses to pay that amount, the board of education of the district of attendance shall notify the superintendent of public instruction. The superintendent shall determine the correct amount and the district required to pay the tuition and shall deduct that amount, if any, under division (D) of section 3317.023 of the Revised Code, from the district required to pay the tuition and add that amount to the amount allocated to the district attended under such division. The superintendent of public instruction shall send to the district required to pay the tuition an itemized statement showing such deductions at the time of such deduction.
When a political subdivision owns and operates an airport, welfare, or correctional institution or other project or facility outside its corporate limits, the territory within which the facility is located is exempt from taxation by the school district within which such territory is located, and there are school age children residing within such territory, the political subdivision owning such tax exempt territory shall pay tuition to the district in which such children attend school. The tuition for these children shall be computed as provided for in this section.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 6/30/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 08-15-2003; 2007 HB119 06-30-200.
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §757.90.