(A) The Ohio school facilities commission shall consider student and staff safety and health when reviewing design plans for classroom facility construction projects proposed under this chapter. After consulting with appropriate education, health, and law enforcement personnel, the commission may require as a condition of project approval under either section 3318.03 or division (B)(1) of section 3318.41 of the Revised Code such changes in the design plans as the commission believes will advance or improve student and staff safety and health in the proposed classroom facility.
To carry out its duties under this division, the commission shall review and, if necessary, amend any construction and design standards used in its project approval process, including standards for location and number of exits, standards for lead safety in classroom facilities constructed before 1978 in which services are provided to children under six years of age, and location of restrooms, with a focus on advancing student and staff safety and health.
(B) When reviewing design standards for classroom facility construction projects proposed under this chapter, the commission shall also consider the extent to which the design standards support the following:
(1) Trends in educational delivery methods, including digital access and blended learning;
(2) Provision of sufficient space for training new teachers and promotion of collaboration among teaching candidates, experienced teachers, and teacher educators;
(3) Provision of adequate space for teacher planning and collaboration;
(4) Provision of adequate space for parent involvement activities;
(5) Provision of sufficient space for innovative partnerships between schools and health and social service agencies.
Cite as R.C. § 3318.031
History. Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Effective Date: 06-09-2004