(A) A grant program is hereby established under which the department of education shall award grants to assist certain schools in a city, exempted village, local, or joint vocational school district in implementing one of the following innovations:
(1) The use of instructional specialists to mentor and support classroom teachers;
(2) The use of building managers to supervise the administrative functions of school operation so that a school principal can focus on supporting instruction, providing instructional leadership, and engaging teachers as part of the instructional leadership team;
(3) The reconfiguration of school leadership structure in a manner that allows teachers to serve in leadership roles so that teachers may share the responsibility for making and implementing school decisions;
(4) The adoption of new models for restructuring the school day or school year, such as including teacher planning and collaboration time as part of the school day;
(5) The creation of smaller schools or smaller units within larger schools for the purpose of facilitating teacher collaboration to improve and advance the professional practice of teaching;
(6) The implementation of "grow your own" recruitment strategies that are designed to assist individuals who show a commitment to education become licensed teachers, to assist experienced teachers obtain licensure in subject areas for which there is need, and to assist teachers in becoming principals;
(7) The provision of better conditions for new teachers, such as reduced teaching load and reduced class size;
(8) The provision of incentives to attract qualified mathematics, science, or special education teachers;
(9) The development and implementation of a partnership with teacher preparation programs at colleges and universities to help attract teachers qualified to teach in shortage areas;
(10) The implementation of a program to increase the cultural competency of both new and veteran teachers;
(11) The implementation of a program to increase the subject matter competency of veteran teachers.
(B) To qualify for a grant to implement one of the innovations described in division (A) of this section, a school must meet both of the following criteria:
(1) Be hard to staff, as defined by the department.
(2) Use existing school district funds for the implementation of the innovation in an amount equal to the grant amount multiplied by (1 - the district's state share percentage for the fiscal year in which the grant is awarded).
For purposes of division (B)(2) of this section, "state share percentage" has the same meaning as in section 3317.02 of the Revised Code.
(C) The amount and number of grants awarded under this section shall be determined by the department based on any appropriations made by the general assembly for grants under this section.
(D) The state board of education shall adopt rules for the administration of this grant program.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28,HB 153, §101.01, eff. 6/30/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 7/17/2009.
Effective Date: 06-09-2004