(A) The STEM committee shall award grants to support the operation of STEM programs of excellence to serve students in any of grades kindergarten through eight through a request for proposals.
(B) Proposals may be submitted by any of the following:
(1) The board of education of a city, exempted village, or local school district;
(2) The governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code;
(3) The governing authority of a chartered nonpublic school.
(C) Each proposal shall demonstrate to the satisfaction of the STEM committee that the program meets at least the following standards:
(1) Unless the program is designed to serve only students identified as gifted under Chapter 3324. of the Revised Code, the program will serve all students enrolled in the district or school in the grades for which the program is designed.
(2) The program will offer a rigorous and diverse curriculum that is based on scientific inquiry and technological design, that emphasizes personalized learning and teamwork skills, and that will expose students to advanced scientific concepts within and outside the classroom.
(3) Unless the program is designed to serve only students identified as gifted under Chapter 3324. of the Revised Code, the program will not limit participation of students on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of achievement, or aptitude.
(4) The program will utilize an established capacity to capture and share knowledge for best practices and innovative professional development.
(5) The program will operate in collaboration with a partnership that includes institutions of higher education and businesses.
(6) The program will include teacher professional development strategies that are augmented by community and business partners.
(D) The STEM committee shall give priority to proposals for new or expanding innovative programs.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 362, §1, eff. 9/11/2014.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.128, SB 316, §101.01, eff. 9/24/2012.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 2007 HB119 06-30-200.