(A) In accordance with the procedures prescribed in division (B) of this section, the state board of education shall select a private nonprofit corporation that meets the following qualifications to operate each college-preparatory boarding school established under this chapter:
(1) The corporation has experience operating a school or program similar to the schools authorized under this chapter.
(2) The school or program described in division (A)(1) of this section has demonstrated to the satisfaction of the state board success in improving the academic performance of students.
(3) The corporation has demonstrated to the satisfaction of the state board that the corporation has the capacity to secure private funds for the development of the school authorized under this chapter.
(1) Not later than sixty days after the effective date of this section, the state board shall issue a request for proposals from private nonprofit corporations qualified to operate a college-preparatory boarding school established under this chapter. If the state board subsequently determines that the establishment of one or more additional college-preparatory boarding schools is advisable, the state board shall issue requests for proposals from private nonprofit corporations qualified to operate those additional schools.
In all cases, the state board shall select the school's operator from among the qualified responders within one hundred eighty days after the issuance of the request for proposals. If no qualified responder submits a proposal, the state board may issue another request for proposals.
(2) Each proposal submitted to the state board shall contain the following information:
(a) The proposed location of the college-preparatory boarding school, which may differ from any location recommended by the state board in the request for proposals;
(b) A plan for offering grade six in the school's initial year of operation and a plan for increasing the grade levels offered by the school in subsequent years;
(c) Any other information about the proposed educational program, facilities, or operations of the school considered necessary by the state board.
(C) No college-preparatory boarding school established under this chapter shall open for operation prior to the 2013-2014 school year.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.