(1) There are hereby created the Ohio outstanding scholarship and the Ohio priority needs fellowship programs payment funds, which shall be in the custody of the treasurer of state, but shall not be a part of the state treasury.
(2) The payment funds shall consist solely of all moneys returned to the treasurer of state, as issuer of certain tax-exempt student loan revenue bonds, from all indentures of trust, both presently existing and future, created as a result of tax-exempt student loan revenue bonds issued under Chapter 3366. of the Revised Code, and any moneys earned from allowable investments of the payment funds under division (B) of this section.
(3) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, the payment funds shall be used solely for scholarship and fellowships awarded under sections 3333.37 to 3333.375 of the Revised Code by the chancellor of the Ohio board of regents and for any necessary administrative expenses incurred by the chancellor in administering the scholarship and fellowship programs.
(B) The treasurer of state may invest any moneys in the payment funds not currently needed for scholarship and fellowship payments in any kind of investments in which moneys of the public employees retirement system may be invested under Chapter 145. of the Revised Code.
(1) The instruments of title of all investments shall be delivered to the treasurer of state or to a qualified trustee designated by the treasurer of state as provided in section 135.18 of the Revised Code.
(2) The treasurer of state shall collect both principal and investment earnings on all investments as they become due and pay them into the payment funds.
(3) All deposits to the payment funds shall be made in public depositories of this state and secured as provided in section 135.18 of the Revised Code.
(D) On or before March 1, 2001, and on or before the first day of March in each subsequent year, the treasurer of state shall provide to the chancellor of the Ohio board of regents a statement indicating the moneys in the Ohio outstanding scholarship and the Ohio priority needs fellowship programs payment funds that are available for the upcoming academic year to award scholarships and fellowships under sections 3333.37 to 3333.375 of the Revised Code.
(E) The chancellor may use funds the treasurer has indicated as available pursuant to division (D) of this section to support distribution of state need-based financial aid in accordance with sections 3333.12 and 3333.122 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 06-08-2000; 2007 HB2 05-15-2007; 2008 HB420 12-30-2008