(A) All of the following individuals shall jointly develop a proposal for the creation of a primary care medical student component of the choose Ohio first scholarship program operated under section 3333.61 of the Revised Code under which scholarships are annually made available and awarded to medical students who meet the requirements specified in division (D) of this section:
(1) The dean of the Ohio state university school of medicine;
(2) The dean of the Case western reserve university school of medicine;
(3) The dean of the university of Toledo college of medicine;
(4) The president and dean of the northeast Ohio medical university;
(5) The dean of the university of Cincinnati college of medicine;
(6) The dean of the Boonshoft school of medicine at Wright state university;
(7) The dean of the Ohio university college of osteopathic medicine.
(B) The individuals specified in division (A) of this section shall consider including the following provisions in the proposal:
(1) Establishing a scholarship of sufficient size to permit annually not more than fifty medical students to receive scholarships;
(2) Specifying that a scholarship, once granted, may be provided to a medical student for not more than four years.
(C) The individuals specified in division (A) of this section shall submit the proposal for the component to the chancellor of higher education not later than March 6, 2011. The chancellor shall review the proposal and determine whether to implement the component as part of the program.
(D) To be eligible for a scholarship made available under the component, a medical student shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1) Participate in identified patient centered medical home model training opportunities during medical school;
(2) Commit to a post-residency primary care practice in this state for not less than three years;
(3) Accept medicaid recipients as patients, without restriction and, as compared to other patients, in a proportion that is specified in the scholarship.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2015.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.18, HB 139, §1, eff. 4/29/2011.
Added by 128th General AssemblyFile No.36, HB 198, §1, eff. 9/6/2010.