As used in sections 3333.71 to 3333.79 of the Revised Code:
(A) "Cooperative education program" means a partnership between students, institutions of higher education, and employers that formally integrates students' academic study with work experience in cooperating employer organizations and that meets all of the following conditions:
(1) Alternates or combines periods of academic study and work experience in appropriate fields as an integral part of student education;
(2) Provides students with compensation from the cooperative employer in the form of wages or salaries for work performed;
(3) Evaluates each participating student's performance in the cooperative position, both from the perspective of the student's institution of higher education and the student's cooperative employer;
(4) Provides participating students with academic credit from the institution of higher education upon successful completion of their cooperative education;
(5) Is part of an overall degree or certificate program for which a percentage of the total program acceptable to the chancellor of the Ohio board of regents involves cooperative education.
(B) "Internship program" means a partnership between students, institutions of higher education, and employers that formally integrates students' academic study with work or community service experience and that does both of the following:
(1) Offers internships of specified and definite duration;
(2) Evaluates each participating student's performance in the internship position, both from the perspective of the student's institution of higher education and the student's internship employer.
An internship program may provide participating students with academic credit upon successful completion of the internship, and may provide students with compensation in the form of wages or salaries, stipends, or scholarships.
(C) "Nonpublic university or college" means a nonprofit institution holding a certificate of authorization issued under Chapter 1713. of the Revised Code.
(D) "State institution of higher education" has the same meaning as in section 3345.011 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127,HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 2008 HB554 09-12-2008