(A) A governance authority appointed for a state university or college under section 3345.75 of the Revised Code at least annually shall apply the indicators and standards adopted under division (B) of section 3345.73 of the Revised Code to determine whether the university or college is experiencing sufficient fiscal stability to warrant terminating that governance authority in accordance with this section. Upon making a determination that termination of the governance authority is warranted, the governance authority shall certify this determination to the governor.
A determination by a governance authority under this division that sufficient fiscal stability exists or does not exist to warrant terminating that governance authority is final and conclusive and not appealable.
(B) The governor may issue an order, effective as provided under division (D) of this section, terminating the governance authority appointed under section 3345.75 of the Revised Code, upon the occurrence of either of the following:
(1) Certification by the governance authority for that state university or college the termination of that governance authority is warranted;
(2) A finding that in the governor's opinion termination of the governance authority is in the best interests of the state, that state university or college, and the students of that state university or college.
(C) Upon issuance of an order under division (B) of this section, the governor shall fill each vacancy on the board of trustees of the university or college for the unexpired portion of the member's term or, if the term for the member has already expired, for the unexpired portion of the succeeding term.
(D) Thirty days after the date on which the chancellor of higher education determines that all vacancies on the board of trustees have been filled, all authority, responsibilities, duties, and references assumed by or conferred upon the governance authority of that university or college under division (C) of section 3345.75 of the Revised Code terminate and all of the following shall occur:
(1) The management and control of the state university or college by the board of trustees shall be resumed;
(2) The board becomes the successor to, assumes the lawful obligations of, and otherwise constitutes the continuation of the conservator and the governance authority for purposes of all pending legal actions, contracts or other agreements, and obligations of the university or college;
(3) Wherever the conservator or the governance authority is referred to in any contract or legal document, the reference is deemed to refer to the board of trustees. No validation, cure, right, privilege, remedy, obligation, or liability is lost or impaired by reason of the resumption by the board of trustees of the authority of the conservator and the governance authority, and any such validation, cure, right, privilege, remedy, obligation, or liability shall be administered by the board of trustees. No action or proceeding pending on the effective date of the resumption by the board of trustees of the authority of the conservator and the governance authority is affected by that resumption, and any such action or proceeding shall be prosecuted or defended in the name of the board of trustees.
(4) The board of trustees resumes custody of all equipment, records, files, effects, and all other property real or personal of the state university or college;
(6) The duties, authority, and pay of the president or chief executive officer of the university or college suspended under division (C)(6) of section 3345.74 and not reinstated under division (B)(2) of section 3345.75 of the Revised Code are reinstated to the person holding that position, unless otherwise provided for by the board of trustees.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2015.
Effective Date: 06-20-1997