(A) The chancellor of the Ohio board of regents shall develop a plan for designating public institutions of higher education as charter universities. In developing the plan, the chancellor shall:
(1) Study the administrative and financial relationships between the state and its public institutions of higher education to determine the extent to which public colleges and universities can manage their operations more effectively when accorded flexibility through selected delegation of authority;
(2) Examine legal and other issues related to the feasibility and practicability of restructuring the administrative and financial relationships between the state and its public institutions of higher education;
(3) Consult with the presidents of the institutions of higher education of the university system of Ohio.
(B) The office of budget and management, the department of administrative services, and each state institution of higher education shall provide the chancellor, upon the chancellor's request, with research assistance, fiscal and policy analysis, and other services in conducting the study and developing the plan under this section. Each state agency shall provide the chancellor with any other assistance requested by the chancellor in conducting the study and developing the plan.
(C) The chancellor shall specify in the plan:
(1) The manner in which a state institution of higher education may become eligible for restructured financial and operational authority, and performance measures and criteria to determine eligibility. The performance measures and criteria shall address the institution's ability to manage successfully its administrative and financial operations without jeopardizing the financial integrity and stability of the institution.
(2) Specific areas of financial and operational authority that are subject to increased flexibility;
(3) The nature and term of the management agreement required between the state and an institution.
(D) Not later than August 15, 2011, the chancellor shall submit to the general assembly and the governor a report of findings and recommendations for use in developing policy, statutory, and administrative rule changes necessary to implement the plan. No institution shall be designated a charter university until the general assembly, after considering the chancellor's plan, has enacted legislation establishing a procedure for making the designation. The chancellor shall not adopt, amend, or rescind any rules with respect to designating institutions as charter universities until that legislation is enacted. The general assembly intends that the general assembly, governor, and chancellor will take actions necessary for implementation of the plan for charter universities to commence July 1, 2012.
Cite as R.C. § 3345.81
History. Repealed by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §105.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 6/30/2011.