(A) The eTech Ohio commission shall develop and implement an interactive distance learning pilot project to provide, beginning with the 2009-2010 school year, access to at least three interactive distance learning courses in each school year free of charge for all high schools operated by school districts. The courses offered shall include two advanced placement courses and one foreign language course.
The commission shall do all of the following:
(1) Contract for the development and offering of interactive distance learning courses;
(2) Produce and broadcast the courses offered by the pilot project;
(3) Provide the funds for schools to purchase video conferencing telecommunications equipment and connectivity devices, if necessary, so that the schools may participate in the pilot project;
(4) Assist schools in arranging for the purchase and installation of telecommunications equipment and connectivity devices, if necessary, so that the schools may participate in the pilot project;
(5) Pay, for up to one school year, the cost of upgrading internet service for schools that currently have a connection not faster than 1.544 megabits per second;
(6) Offer training in the use of the telecommunications equipment necessary to participate in the pilot project;
(7) Administer and oversee the operation of the pilot project.
(B) The department of education, in consultation with the chancellor of the Ohio board of regents, shall select courses to be offered by the pilot project and shall develop the standards for the curriculum of each course selected.
(C) The commission and the department jointly, and in consultation with the chancellor, shall select the teachers to develop and teach the courses offered by the pilot project.
(D) The commission, the department, and the chancellor jointly shall notify schools of and promote participation in the pilot project.
(E) Each high school shall determine the manner in which and facilities at which students may participate in courses consistent with specifications for technology and connectivity required by the commission.
(F) The grade for a student enrolled in a course offered through the pilot project shall be assigned by the course teacher and shall be transmitted to the student's high school.
(G) Not later than December 31, 2010, the superintendent of public instruction, the chancellor, and the commission shall submit to the governor and the general assembly, in accordance with section 101.68 of the Revised Code, a formative evaluation of the implementation and results of and legislative recommendations for changes in the pilot project.
Added by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 7/17/2009.