(1) The secretary of state shall adopt rules for the electronic transmission by boards of elections, designated agencies, offices of deputy registrars of motor vehicles, public high schools and vocational schools, public libraries, and offices of county treasurers, where applicable, of name and residence changes for voter registration records in the statewide voter registration database.
(2) The secretary of state shall adopt rules for the purpose of improving the speed of processing new voter registrations that permit information from a voter registration application received by a designated agency or an office of deputy registrar of motor vehicles to be made available electronically, in addition to requiring the original voter registration application to be transmitted to the applicable board of elections under division (E)(2) of section 3503.10 or section 3503.11 of the Revised Code.
(B) Rules adopted under division (A) of this section shall do all of the following:
(1) Prohibit any direct electronic connection between a designated agency, office of deputy registrar of motor vehicles, public high school or vocational school, public library, or office of a county treasurer and the statewide voter registration database;
(2) Require any updated voter registration information to be verified by the secretary of state or a board of elections before the information is added to the statewide voter registration database for the purpose of modifying an existing voter registration;
(3) Require each designated agency or office of deputy registrar of motor vehicles that transmits voter registration information electronically to transmit an identifier for data relating to each new voter registration that shall be used by the secretary of state or a board of elections to match the electronic data to the original voter registration application.
Effective Date: 2007 HB119 09-29-2007 .