(A) No person shall be a candidate for nomination or election at a party primary if the person voted as a member of a different political party at any primary election within the current year and the immediately preceding two calendar years.
(B) Notwithstanding division (A) of this section, either of the following persons may be candidates for nomination of any political party at a party primary:
(1) A person who does not hold an elective office;
(2) A person who holds an elective office other than one for which candidates are nominated at a party primary.
(1) Notwithstanding division (A) of this section, a person who holds an elective office for which candidates are nominated at a party primary may be a candidate at a primary election held during the times specified in division (C)(2) of this section for nomination as a candidate of a political party of which the person is prohibited from being a candidate for nomination under division (A) of this section if the person files a declaration of intent to seek the nomination of that party and if, by filing the declaration, the person has not violated division (C)(3) of this section. The declaration of intent shall:
(a) Be filed not later than four p.m. of the thirtieth day before a declaration of candidacy and petition is required to be filed under section 3513.05 of the Revised Code;
(b) Be filed with the same official with whom the person filing the declaration of intent is required to file a declaration of candidacy and petition;
(c) Indicate the political party whose nomination in the primary election the person seeks;
(d) Be on a form prescribed by the secretary of state.
(2) No person filing a declaration of intent under division (C)(1) of this section shall be a candidate at any primary election for nomination for an elective office for which candidates are nominated at a party primary during the calendar year in which the person files the declaration or during the next calendar year except as a candidate of the party indicated under division (C)(1)(c) of this section.
(3) No person who files a declaration of intent under division (C)(1) of this section shall file another such declaration for a period of ten years after the declaration is filed.
(4) Notwithstanding the seventh paragraph of section 3513.05 of the Revised Code, a person who complies with this section may circulate that person's own petition of candidacy for party nomination at the party primary at which the person seeks nomination under this section.
Effective Date: 08-22-1995