(A) There is hereby created the Ohio public health advisory board. The board shall consist of the following members:
(1) The following members appointed by the director of health from among individuals who are not employed by the state and are recommended by statewide trade or professional organizations that represent interests in public health:
(a) One individual authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery;
(b) One individual authorized under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code to practice nursing as a registered nurse;
(c) Three members of the public, two of whom are representatives of entities licensed by the department of health or boards of health.
(2) One representative of the association of Ohio health commissioners, appointed by the association;
(3) One representative of the Ohio public health association, appointed by the association;
(4) One representative of the Ohio environmental health association, appointed by the association, who is registered as a sanitarian under Chapter 4736. of the Revised Code;
(5) One representative of the Ohio association of boards of health, appointed by the association;
(6) One representative of the Ohio society for public health education, appointed by the society;
(7) One representative of the Ohio hospital association, appointed by the association.
The director of health or the director's designee shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member of the board.
(B) Not later than thirty days after the effective date of this section, initial appointments shall be made to the board. Of the initial appointments, the members specified in divisions (A)(5), (6), and (7) and division (A)(1)(c) of this section representing entities licensed by the department of health or boards of health shall serve terms ending June 30, 2014, and the members specified in divisions (A)(1)(a) and (b), divisions (A)(2), (3), and (4), and division (A)(1)(c) of this section not representing entities licensed by the department or boards of health shall serve terms ending June 30, 2015. Thereafter, terms of office for all members shall be three years, with each term ending on the same day of the same month as the term it succeeds. Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. Members may be reappointed, except that no member who has served two consecutive terms may be reappointed until three years have elapsed since the member's last term ended.
Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as original appointments.
Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of that term. A member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office or until a period of ninety days has elapsed, whichever occurs first.
(C) The board shall annually select from among its members a chairperson and vice-chairperson. The director shall designate an officer or employee of the department to act as the board's secretary. The secretary shall be a nonvoting board member.
The board may adopt by laws governing its operation. The chairperson may appoint subcommittees as the chairperson considers necessary.
(D) The board shall meet at the call of the chairperson, but not less than four times per year. A majority of the members of the board constitutes a quorum. Special meetings may be called by the chairperson and shall be called by the chairperson at the request of the director. In a request for a special meeting, the director shall specify the purpose of the meeting and the date and place the meeting is to be held. No other business shall be considered at a special meeting except by a unanimous vote of members present at the meeting.
In conducting any meeting, the board and its subcommittees may use an interactive video teleconferencing system. If provisions are made that allow public attendance at a designated location with respect to a meeting using such a system, the board members who attend the meeting by video teleconference shall be counted for purposes of determining whether a quorum is present and shall be permitted to vote.
Members shall be expected to attend a majority of meetings of the board. Unexcused absence from three consecutive meetings shall be considered notice of a member's intent to resign from the board.
(1) The department shall provide meeting space and staff and other administrative support for the board to carry out its duties.
(2) To facilitate the board's review of proposed rules under division (A)(1) of section 3701.34 of the Revised Code, the department shall establish and maintain an electronic web-based database of board meeting agendas, board meeting minutes, proposed rules, public comments, and other documents relevant to the work of the board.
(F) Notice of meetings shall be provided to members through the board's mailing list, the department's web site, or any other means available to the board.
The minutes of previous meetings, the next meeting's agenda, and information on any matters to be presented to the board at any regular or special meeting shall be provided to the board in an electronic format.
(G) Members shall attend annual ethics training provided by the Ohio ethics commission.
(H) Members shall serve without compensation, but may be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties.
Cite as R.C. § 3701.33
History. Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.