(A) The Ohio public health advisory board shall review and make recommendations to the director of health on all of the following:
(1) Developing and adopting proposed rules under Chapters 3701 and 3717 of the Administrative Code;
(2) Prescribing proposed fees for services provided by the office of vital statistics and the bureau of environmental health;
(3) Issues to improve public health and increase awareness of public health issues at the state level, local level, or both;
(4) Any other public health issues that the director requests the board to consider.
(B) In making recommendations to the director under division (A)(1) of this section, all of the following apply:
(1) Prior to filing a proposed rule with the joint committee on agency rule review, the department of health shall provide each board member with a copy of the proposed rule, copies of public comments received by the department during the public comment period, and written evidence of stakeholder involvement.
(2) Prior to board meetings, copies of proposed rules shall be provided to members. On request of a member, the department shall ensure that appropriate department employees attend board meetings to answer questions concerning proposed rules.
(a) Not later than sixty days after receiving a copy of a proposed rule, the board shall recommend approval or disapproval of the rule and submit its recommendation by board action to the director. In making its recommendation, the board may consider public comments provided to the department or the board.
(b) If the board fails to make a recommendation within sixty days of receiving a copy of the proposed rule, the director may file the proposed rule.
(4) Except as provided in division (B)(3)(b) of this section, the director shall consider the board's recommendation before filing a proposed rule. On request of the board, the director shall meet with the board to discuss the board's recommendation.
(5) If the director disagrees with the board's recommendation, the director shall inform the board in writing of the director's decision and the reason for the decision prior to the next quarterly meeting. The director or the director's designee may meet with the board at the next quarterly meeting to answer questions regarding why the director disagreed with the board's recommendation.
(C) To the extent the board believes that a proposed rule does not comply with requirements established by the joint committee on agency rule review or the common sense initiative office, nothing in this section prohibits the board, in carrying out its duties under division (A)(1) of this section, from contacting the joint committee on agency rule review or the common sense initiative office.
(D) In making recommendations under division (A)(2) of this section for prescribing proposed fees for services provided by the bureau of environmental health, the board and the department shall develop a cost methodology subject to approval by the director.
(E) This section does not apply to the following:
(1) A proposed rule that is to be refiled with the joint committee on agency rule review solely because of technical or other nonsubstantive revisions;
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.