(A) As used in this section and section 3701.64 of the Revised Code:
(1) "Child day-care center," "type A family day-care home," and "certified type B family day-care home" have the same meanings as in section 5104.01 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Child care facility" means a child day-care center, a type A family day-care home, or a certified type B family day-care home.
(3) "Freestanding birthing center" has the same meaning as in section 3702.141 of the Revised Code.
(4) "Hospital" means a hospital classified pursuant to rules adopted under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code as a general hospital or children's hospital.
(5) "Maternity unit" means any unit or place in a hospital where women are regularly received and provided care during all or part of the maternity cycle, except that "maternity unit" does not include an emergency department or similar place dedicated to providing emergency health care.
(6) "Parent" means either parent, unless the parents are separated or divorced or their marriage has been dissolved or annulled, in which case "parent" means the parent who is the residential parent and legal custodian of the child. "Parent" also means a prospective adoptive parent with whom a child is placed.
(7) "Shaken Baby Syndrome" means signs and symptoms, including, but not limited to, retinal hemorrhages in one or both eyes, subdural hematoma, or brain swelling, resulting from the violent shaking or the shaking and impacting of the head of an infant or small child.
(B) The director of health shall establish the shaken baby syndrome education program by doing all of the following:
(1) By not later than one year after February 29, 2008, developing educational materials that present readily comprehendible information on shaken baby syndrome;
(2) Making available on the department of health web site in an easily accessible format the educational materials developed under division (B)(1) of this section;
(3) Beginning in 2009, annually assessing the effectiveness of the shaken baby syndrome education program by evaluating the reports received pursuant to section 5101.135 of the Revised Code.
(C) In meeting the requirements under division (B) of this section, the director shall not develop educational materials that will impose an administrative or financial burden on any of the entities or persons listed in section 3701.64 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127,HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.39,SB 171, §1, eff. 6/30/2011.
Effective Date: 2007 SB144 02-29-2008
This section is set out twice. See also §3701.632, as amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.128,SB 316, §120.01, eff. 1/1/2014.