(A) The department of health may establish a program to award grants to educate and train physicians, health professionals, and other service providers on the most current, accurate scientific and medical information on lupus diagnosis, treatment, and therapeutic decision-making, including medical best practices for detecting and treating the disease in special populations, risks and benefits of medications, and research advances. If a program to award grants is established, the department shall allocate the total amount available for the grants in amounts that are proportionate to the populations of the areas served by the Ohio chapters of the lupus foundation of America, inc.
To be eligible for a grant, an applicant must be affiliated with the foundation.
(B) Each grant recipient shall do all of the following:
(1) Develop health professional educational materials that identify the latest scientific and medical information and clinical applications;
(2) Work to increase knowledge among physicians, nurses, and other health and human services professionals about the importance of lupus diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation;
(3) Use available curricula for training of health and human services providers and community leaders on lupus detection and treatment;
(4) Support continuing medical education programs in all geographical areas of the state presented by the leading state academic institutions by providing the most current information;
(5) Provide workshops and seminars for in-depth professional development in the field of care and management of lupus patients to bring the latest information on clinical advances to health care providers;
(6) Conduct statewide conferences on lupus at appropriate intervals;
(7) Prepare an annual report that describes the recipient's use of the grant and submit a copy of the report to the department.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127,HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Prior History: (Repealed by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §105.01, eff. 10/16/2009. )
(Effective Date: 09-05-2001)