(A) No clinical laboratory shall present or cause to be presented a claim, bill, or demand for payment for anatomic pathology services to any person or entity other than the following:
(1) The patient who receives the services or another individual, such as a parent, spouse, or guardian, who is responsible for the patient's bills;
(2) A responsible insurer or other third-party payor of a patient who receives the services;
(3) A hospital, public health clinic, or not-for-profit health clinic ordering the services;
(4) A referring clinical laboratory;
(5) A governmental agency or any person acting on behalf of a governmental agency;
(B) Nothing in this section shall be construed to do either of the following:
(1) Mandate the assignment of benefits for anatomic pathology services;
(2) Prohibit a clinical laboratory that provides anatomic pathology services from billing a referring clinical laboratory for anatomic pathology services in instances in which the referring clinical laboratory sends one or more samples to the clinical laboratory for purposes of having a specialist perform analysis, consultation, or histologic processing.
Effective Date: 2008 HB493 04-07-2009 .