(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Full-time practice" and "part-time practice" have the same meanings as in section 3702.71 of the Revised Code;
(2) "Teaching activities" means supervising dental students and dental residents at the service site specified in the letter of intent described in section 3702.90 of the Revised Code.
(B) An individual who has signed a letter of intent may enter into a contract with the director of health for participation in the dentist loan repayment program. The dentist's employer or other funding source may also be a party to the contract.
(C) The contract shall include all of the following obligations:
(1) The individual agrees to provide dental services in the dental health resource shortage area identified in the letter of intent for the number of hours and duration specified in the contract.
(2) When providing dental services in the dental health resource shortage area, the individual agrees to do all of the following:
(a) Provide dental services in a service site approved by the department of health;
(b) Provide dental services without regard to a patient's ability to pay;
(c) Meet the requirements for a medicaid provider agreement and enter into the agreement with the department of medicaid to provide dental services to medicaid recipients.
(3) The department of health agrees, as provided in section 3702.85 of the Revised Code, to repay, so long as the individual performs the service obligation agreed to under division (C)(1) of this section, all or part of the principal and interest of a government or other educational loan taken by the individual for expenses described in section 3702.85 of the Revised Code.
(4) The individual agrees to pay the department of health an amount established by rules adopted under section 3702.86 of the Revised Code, if the individual fails to complete the service obligation agreed to under division (C)(1) of this section.
(D) The contract shall include the following terms as agreed upon by the parties:
(1) The individual's required length of service in the dental health resource shortage area, which must be at least two years;
(2) The number of weekly hours the individual will be engaged in full-time practice or part-time practice;
(3) The maximum amount that the department will repay on behalf of the individual;
(4) The extent to which the individual's teaching activities will be counted toward the individual's full-time practice or part-time practice hours under the contract.
(E) If the amount specified in division (D)(3) of this section includes funds from the bureau of clinician recruitment and service in the United States department of health and human services, the amount of state funds repaid on the individual's behalf shall be the same as the amount of those funds.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 483, §101.01, eff. 9/15/2014.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 10-29-2003; 2008 HB562 06-24-2008