(A) To qualify for an asbestos hazard abatement contractor's license, a business entity or public entity shall meet the requirements of this section.
(B) Each employee or agent of the business entity or public entity applying for a license who will come in contact with asbestos or will be responsible for an asbestos hazard abatement project shall:
(1) Be familiar with all applicable state and federal standards for asbestos hazard abatement projects;
(2) Have successfully completed the course of instruction on asbestos hazard abatement activities, for their particular certification, approved by the department of health pursuant to section 3710.10 of the Revised Code, have passed an examination approved by the department, and demonstrate to the department that the employee or agent is capable of complying with all applicable standards of this state, the United States environmental protection agency, and the United States occupational safety and health administration.
(C) A business entity or public entity applying for an asbestos hazard abatement contractor's license shall, in addition to the other requirements of this section, provide at least one asbestos hazard abatement specialist, certified pursuant to this chapter and the rules adopted under it, for each asbestos hazard abatement project, and demonstrate to the satisfaction of the department that the applicant:
(1) Has access to at least one asbestos disposal site approved by the Ohio environmental protection agency that is sufficient for the deposit of all asbestos waste that the applicant will generate during the term of the license;
(2) Is sufficiently qualified to safely remove asbestos, demonstrated by reliability as an asbestos hazard abatement contractor, possesses a work program that prevents the contamination or recontamination of the environment and protects the public health from the hazards of exposure to asbestos, possesses evidence of certification of each individual employee or agent who will be responsible for others who may come in contact with friable asbestos-containing materials, possesses evidence of training of workers required by section 3710.07 of the Revised Code, and has prior successful experience in asbestos hazard abatement projects or equivalent qualifications as determined in accordance with rules adopted by the director of health ;
(3) Possesses a worker protection program consistent with requirements established by the director if the contractor is a public entity, and a worker protection program consistent with the requirements of the United States occupational safety and health administration if the contractor is a business entity;
(4) Is registered as a business entity with the secretary of state.
(D) No applicant for licensure as an asbestos hazard abatement contractor, in order to meet the requirements of this chapter, shall list an employee of another contractor.
(E) The business entity or public entity shall meet any other standards that the director, by rule, sets.
(F) Nothing in this chapter or the rules adopted pursuant thereto relating to asbestos hazard abatement project designers shall be interpreted as authorizing or permitting an individual who is certified as an asbestos hazard abatement project designer to perform the services of a registered architect or professional engineer unless that person is registered under Chapter 4703. or 4733. of the Revised Code to perform such services.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 10-08-1992 .